Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everybody. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I've been socializing Sage (who is 14.5 weeks old) with many of my friends' dogs, and things were going well. However, the other day, I introduced Sage to a friends dog (she is a three year old boxer). She's pretty hyper, and plays much more aggressively than any of the other dogs that she has romped with. At first it appeared that she was scared from the very rough and tumble play (her boxer was not being mean, it is just how she plays). Sage would get run right over and she would shy away with her tail down and retreat to a more protected area. Sage would still be play-batting at her with her paws etc., and never really yelped or anything. I thought that they should work things out without our butting in too much. By the end, Sage was being almost as aggressive with the other pup. It was different from how I would usually see her play, but not really disturbing. Anyhow (to finally get to my point :lol: ), since that play, she has been a bit more aggressive in general around the house and kids. Nothing too alarming, but definitely noteworthy. Should I discourage her from this kind of play if it causes her to be more aggressive? or am I just imagining things (maybe it's just the beginning of a new phase of her development and it's all a co-incidence??) Well, if anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't let my dogs play roughly because of what you described. I have my "Little Man," a very little yorkie and he squeals like a stuck pig when any of the dogs start getting rough which is a great signal for me to rush to wherever they are playing at that moment. I agree with you that the rough play is disturbing and like anything else I don't want them doing, I try to modify the bad behavior.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
We also don't play rough with Dakota, however my step son does. As a result--I think--I do notice that Dakota will try the rougher play with us. When he does, I walk away and ignore him. If he's really persistant, he will get a time-out in his pen--no scolding though, as I don't want that to be punishment; I just want to calm him down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts