Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 12 week labradoodle called Mozart. I love him to bits! I have a problem that has become worse over the last week or so where if I pick him up he becomes agressive where as a few weeks ago I could lay him on hs back and check for fleas ticks and he would just lie thereand be submissive. Now he seems to hate the restrictin of being held and likes to bite and growl at me. I have been told to hold him until he settles down however he thrashes around and I get afraid I will hurt him, has anyone ever heard of this method? Do you think he will grow out of it? I also put him into time out when he bites. How long should I ignore him for? and is this a dominence thing? Any advice would be appreciated as I want him to feel happy, safe and loved!

Thanks Kym

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hi Kym...Mozart's behavior sounds like my first doodle, Hannah. She hated to be put on her back and got very agressive when we tried. I would suggest starting out slowly by getting her used to being touched all over. While she is sitting or standing, gently rub your hands over her gradually increasing the length of time. My doodle especially hated to be touched on her behind, it was nearly impossible for the vet to take her temperature. Maybe hold a treat in your fist and let her sniff it and try to get it out and with your other hand stroke her looking for ticks, burrs, or what ever.

As far as time outs, I would not hold him down..but that is just me..I used an Xpen and when she got aggressive, I put her in the Xpen and left the room.

I am sure others will have some good suggestions too!

:wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
KYM i went through this with Peanut between 10-13 weeks old where she'd get real nasty bitchy at times with Max , Dave and a few time with me.

Normally with littermates and their mom they get corrected immediately and find out this is not accepted.

For me i found 2 things out.

1. IF PEANUT was tired and hadn't napped SHE GOT BITCHY i mean nasty hahhaha Soooooooo
2. I corrected her like a MOM and hold her by the neck with a soft sruff and say NO with a growl.
AND THEN off to the crate for a nap
when she awoke she was fine

PEANUT now is the sweetest kindest doodle and has never since shown growling or any bitchiness whats-so-ever.
She also learned i am the ALPA and pack leader, so she knows her place.
In fact we cannot raise our voices in the least with peanut or she'll cower

So be patient, you little one is just testing the waters, establishing dominancy and "pecking order". do NOT be afraid or overreact when your doodle MOZART acts out of sorts.
Correct and really little puppies at that age need naps

MY kids were the same way when tired...in fact DAVE my fiance is the crankiest thing around when he's tired and I correct him by making him go watch tv cause then he falls asleep hahahhahaaaa
( i pray DAVE doesn't read this)

OH WELCOME to the forum and Congrats on Mozart

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi Kym

Welcome to you and Mozart !

We've never had a flea prob so I dont need to scan Annabelle but she will roll on her back for a belly rub, but prefers to do that on the bed where it is nice and cushy as opposed to lying on the floor

Good luck - look forward to pics of Mozart

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Kym,

Our Ebbe had her 'moments' too! Found out (the hard way) she needed to poo! We learned fast to read those moments.

But it was also just part of growing up. I learned on this forum the benefit of gentle massage, when her behavior is anxious and/or aggressive. It still works and sometimes she just melts with relaxation when I do it.

And I learned from our trainer that I was a bit of a marshmallow esp. on walks when suddenly she would nip me, grab the leash, try to pull away. Sometimes she just needed to be sat down and refocused sternly with a good NO, and then I'd stand perfectly still (as she did) until the moment passed. She grew up :D ... I learned not to be afraid of her :oops: and she's a very good girl. But Kym, you have a PUPPY. It's going to happen.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Wow! Don't remember anyone mentioning the link between the nippy and cranky behavior and needing a nap....or needing to poop!!
It may have been discussed, but I just don't remember...
(yikes, hope this isn't a sign of ending up like my loopy mom!!)

I have discovered BOTH are true for Coco....if she is overtired, watch out....she's hyper, jumpy and will nip hard! If she has to poop, she really gets bad!!

Do you use Frontline, or something similar for fleas ??

I have started to do that....even though I wish I didn't have to....but it works and I just can't tolerate the flea infestations we'd have if I didn't use it.
8)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ever have a kid that is tired and didnt' nap? hahhahaaa they are something else to deal with then! same with a puppyyyyyyyyyy hhhahahhaaa

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

Thank you everyone for your kind words of advice, I was beginning to get worried that he would grow up to be an aggressive dog. I have been working in the short time since my original post on the methods you have suggested. I will keep you all posted!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
please do and hang in there ...it's just puppyhood and testing the waters :wink:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Don't get discouraged, it really does get better...many of us have had days when we wondered if we would get through it too. I have many tooth marks in bathrobes, sweaters, coats...I'll probably need a new wardrobe when I get my winter stuff out again :twisted:

Do keep posting and asking questions. There is seldom anything that someone hasn't already experienced and everyone is very helpful on this forum.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Wow....I am soooooo lucky. Jonah and Miko have never really nipped my. Miko, never, and Jonah a little for attention when I first got him. Never a cranky mood either. Jonah is ALWAYS in a great mood and Miko just gets quiet.

G

·
I come to this post when I need a laugh....I mean LOOK at Mozart! Aggressive? Bwahahahahahaha!

Sorry Kym, but it IS funny! Mozart is adorable! and looks like a little stuffed animal himself!

I do know what you mean though! Bella was
very nippy and would even go into 'attack mode' sometimes when she got over excited. I had her evaluated by a trainer who reassured me she was just a puppy who needed to learn some 'manners' and he told me she would be a GREAT dog He was so right and his expert advice gave me peace of mind.

Work with Mozart a couple times a day to keep his mind busy AND to give you some control when he starts acting up. Sit and down are great commands.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hhaha I know he looks to sweet and innocent but when he gets excited like you say, he looks like something out of an Exorcist movie the way he thrashes around... He seemed to already be doing better, and seems happier.. Maybe its not him maybe he senses that I have more confidence with him...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
KYM....he does look so sweet and innocent but here's a pic of peanut letting her horns show at 10weeks old

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
What horns I do not see any horns on
that baby girl.
Bahahaahahahahaaaa!
Geez i would not go near her at that moment. Hahahahaha
Great picture Annmarie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Thanks SUE...and hard to believe she was that little as i need to weigh her again soon.
I hear Walmart sells scales inexpensively...i have never owned but guess it's about time i do hahahhahha to weigh my doodles not me :wink:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Kym ... THAT'S IT! Confidence. In my case, I had to stop speaking to Ebbe like a person! :oops:

It took my husband and the trainer a long time to get me to stop being so 'polite', e.g. "Ebbe, please stop! :roll:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my husband is constantly saying "they dont understand you, just give a command" but they DO understand when I say please stop that or get the cat out of your mouth please or can you please get off the bed :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts