Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about females coming into heat, do they become aggressive? I noticed that Lani has gotten more aggressive the last couple of days. Last night she began biting at Toby's back while he was chewing on a bone and pulled out a couple mouthfulls of hair before I could stop her. :cry: She is almost 11 months old and has not come into heat yet. And it seems all she wants to do at times hump Toby. Just curious. :?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my mackenzie will bite the back of her brothers neck anytime heat or not.
sometimes she does it when she is in heat to get their attention and sometimes she just gets excited during play and does it.

I know, no help at all. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lani and Toby bite each other all the time when they play, face, neck, back, leg, etc. This was different, it seemed she was deliberatlly pulling out his fur. All I have to say is if she is not coming into heat I can't imagine what it will be like when she does! :shock: She is driving us nuts!

Any idea what is the oldest age (if you can call it that) a female will come into her first heat?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Lisa, yes, this is common. I don't really understand the dynamics, but I know that my girls do change as their heat cycle approaches. They get back to normal later...but sometimes the dog has strong protective instincts...they only want to be bred by selected males (they are pretty wise when it comes to choosing traits that will help their pups survive.)
So, they get aggressive to keep other dogs away. My dogs usually collect and guard things...but mostly when pregnant...they take all the balls or bones in the house and keep them in front of them, growling at any dog in the vicinity.
My other dogs have learned to respect that...and know when to back off.
We have not had fights, but I know of others that have...so I'd keep an eye on them and make sure that the aggression stops before any of them are hurt.
As for the timing of heat...the larger the dog, the later the cycle can be. It is not uncommon for a female to come into heat the first time at 18 months of age. Some later. But I have read that if after their second birthday you have no heat cycle, you should have her checked.
Also, sometimes dogs have silent heats and you just don't know...so that is a possibility.
Each of my dogs are very different when it comes to hormonal changes, so you can't know what to expect from one to another.
Humping is a big indication of cycling...although not always...sometimes it is just done...usually as a dominance thing.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jac. We have noticed more aggressive play also. The humping has devinately increased, sometimes that is all she wants to do to Toby. Toby has also begin biting her back while he is taking his turn. I remember this as being common with cats so I figure it is the same with dogs. I gues Toby is still all boy even if he can't do anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts