Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all doodles afraid of the dark? Zoey has been doing this for about a month now every night. She goes outside and barks at nothing and barks and barks some more. I go out to check, along with our other dog who turns around and goes back inside, confirming that there is no boggy man out there. We finally have started closing the doggy door so the neighbors won't hate us but now, if she goes out in the morning before it is completely light, she barks some more. Anybody have any scaredy cat doodle advice? Thank you, Tricia & Zoey

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter was afraid of the dark and his own shadow when he was younger...don't remember when it stopped, but definitely before 10-12 months.

I would just laugh and say "you silly doodle...it's your shadow".

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that they hear and see the "creatures" that come out at night...and since there is less noise, they can hear people walking and talking much better.
Dave says that our dogs bark at satellites... :lol:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I heard once that dogs don't have very good short distance sight but have very very good long distance. That's the reason why a dog will sniff the ground looking for the treat he dropped but can see that little dot on the horizon that turns out to be another dog.

Maybe she's seeing things that are really there but look different in the day light.

By the way, Cinnamon didn't used to want go out without us after dark when she was a pup, too scared. Zoey is braver than Cin is!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
By the way, Cinnamon didn't used to want go out without us after dark when she was a pup, too scared. Zoey is braver than Cin is!
Until we got Kirby, Dexter would very rarely go out back by himself. If we put him outside, he would sit by the door and cry until we went out with him. Now they will entertain each other for maybe 15-20 min, but never much longer. They return to the back door periodically to check on us :lol:

I don't know what to tell you to stop Zoey from doing this. I think she may just need to outgrow it. We have observed a decrease in Kirby's random barking at nothing as he's getting more comfortable. He'll still do it, but it's down to 1-2 times per night now.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
DAVE (my fiance) says our doodles bark when they hear a chipmunk fart hahahaaaaaaaa

1 - 11 of 11 Posts