Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
I just looked on dog.com (where I get Maya's flea stuff) and it's cheaper on my site. Maya is on K9 Advantix and it's 60.99 for a 6 mo supply for the 55-100lb range. I would be careful with the answer that the dog stuff is ok for the cats. I know for a fact K9 Advantix can not be used on cats (I called the manufacturer).

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thanks for posting...these products are so expensive that, with 10 dogs, I really need a bargain!
I checked online for customer comments and found this about cats vs dogs dosages: http://www.pet-health.org/store/Pet-365 ... ml#reviews
I don't know if my vet, when asked, was just trying to keep me from buying cheaper products and not from them...or if it is true, but I was told that the cheaper products (over the counter) are not reliable in their effacacy...they did not recommend buying it. But this advertises to be the same as RX brands...
I'd appreciate anyone sharing their experiences about this.

G

·
Jac
What do you mean about buying their perscription strength? It is my understanding that flea meds (except for the oral ones in the HW pills) are all the same ie. the Advantix I get at the vets is the same Advantix I get online. I spoke directly with the manufacturer of Advantix. I wanted to put Maya on that since it covers for mosquitos too. Advantix can't be used on cats and I have a cat so I wanted to make she the cat wouldn't be in any danger is I used it on Maya. Bayer (I beleive that is who makes it) said that as long as the cat doesn't groom the dog for 12 hours after applying it would be fine. I can't keep those two in the same room together for 12 seconds so I think I am safe! He offered to let me buy it through him and I said I get it online cheaper and asked if it's the same and he said it's the same stuff.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Heather, that is good to hear! You are right, this is what I meant...I think that my vets are so eager to get the revenue from the sales that they discourage buying over the counter. It is good to know that the manufacturer says it is the same product. Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
i would not recommend using any of the over-the-counter advantix/frontline-like products you can find in pet stores (hartz is one example). they aren't the same as generic versions of name brand drugs for humans -- you cannot assume that they contain the same active ingredients.

one example is the hartz topical flea product for cats, which contains permethrin, to which some cats are severely allergic (http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/permethrin.htm). dogs have no problem metabolizing permethrin, and k9 advantix uses it (http://www.advantix.info/Questions-and- ... 193.0.html)

as far as i can tell, frontline does not contain permethrin (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=598)

-em

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Jac - our vet actually suggested we order elsewhere due to the huge markup they charge (it's Banfield so I think all branches are forced to charge the same amount)...we order advantix from 1800petmeds.com.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I find that incredible. Are they packaging the different products in the same package? I heard similar things from my last vet. As long as the expiration date is valid and the distributor ships it properly, there should be no problems buying online.

My last vet turned over the business to a chain and it was the chain vet that pushed buying supplies only from them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for responding to this topic! I agree totally about the Hartz product and any other cheaper products which can be purchased at any walmart or Target. I've heard they can be harmful to your pet whether it be a cat or a dog. I am concerned also that the product on this website could be a counterfeit and sent an e-mail a few minutes ago to the contact listed on the Advantix website. I have been using Frontline but after reading that the Advantix also controls mosquitos I'm thinking of changing over. I will let you all know what I hear back from Advantix.

Thank you again for all your responses. :)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My vet too told me last summer that he's been seeing quite a few sick dogs due to the use of the cheap flea/tick drops people have been buying from Dollar General and WalMart. So it's probably wise to avoid those.

I use K-9 Advantix here... since we do have mosquitoes to worry about as well as ticks.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
gene said:
Just a small FYI. I heard that advantix and frontline do not guarantee their products if not purchased from a vet.
this is what I was told also. If your dog contracts heartworm while on Frontline, the only way you will get your vet bills paid for is if you bought them through a vet. The last check up Cin had, they took a blood sample to comply with the guarantee. I guess you have to have that every few years just to make sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did get a reply today from the Advantix website, but they just gave me the phone number of Bayer which I called and she told me they only sell to vets. I then called the number on the dog.com website(it is cheaper by the way than the website I originally posted) and they told me the K9Advantix product is genuine. Someone is not be honest and I would think it most likely would be Bayer. I would think the product at Dog.com is genuine because if they were passing off a different product with the K9Advantix brand name and the Bayer logo, they would be sued.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Absolutely! If someone was using a knockoff and marketing it with the SAME packaging and the SAME name, you can bet that the originating company would sue!
As for not guaranteeing their product...huh uh...they are manufacturers...they are liable to their customers whether the product is purchased through a vet or a retail outlet. I can't believe that they would say that they would not be! Sheesh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts