Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, we are fairly new to the boards and we just adopted our new baby Sampson after Christmas. We were so surprised that he came with pedigree papers because he definitely looks more like a lab mixed with something with a curly to to us!

He was in an abusive home before we found him and is was very shy for a while. He is opening up really well and becoming a fun-loving and energetic two year old which makes us so happy! He still is extrememly shy around men thougn and growls at my Dad daily... He also barks and growls up a storm when anyone come to the house or he hears the tiniest noise by the door.

We did some research on the breed and haven't had many problems with Sam so far but as new owners, we were just wondering if there is anything you can tell us about doodles that would be helful. I know many of you seem to know a lot about them.

Thanks!

~Alicia and Sammy

This is all I did for the first couple of days... My family said how sad my eyes always looked...

But I settled in pretty fast!

Now I'm fitting right in and I LOVE to play in the snow!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
You'll be surprised what a little TLC will do. Just love him and treat him right.
Let your Dad feed him treats once in a while. Food goes a long way in a dog's eye. Sampson will soon get the drift that THIS guy gives food!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI and welcome Alicia and Sammy........as well as Congrats!!

if Sampson was in an abusive home then just let him come to you and learn trust. I fostered dogs now for over 30yrs....he'll learn to trust again with love patience and later on training.

just give him time and later on consult with a trainer or small group training. it can take a few months for Samspon to fully show his real colors and trust well again.
I am sooooooooooooo happy though to hear you took him into your heart and home. HE's a cutie pie :D

and if your dad can do some feeding and walks with him it might help

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodleland and congrats
Absolutely have your Dad walk him and praise him
Good job, lucky Doodle..............

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Sometimes it takes a while with rescues. My Miko and Rumor were both rescues. Miko came from a Amish puppy mill and had next to no socialization. I've had her a year now, and she has finally started greeting my family when then come to visit, instead of cowering behind me (my velcro dog). Rumor spent most of his life in a cage, so he is now going through a the puppy stage he never had at 2+ yo. I've had him almost 3 months now.
Kudos to you and your family for saving a doodle in need.....good luck, keep us posted and bless you!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Welcome and congratulations...wow! What a difference you have made in this pup's life! You should feel so pleased...and you will be rewarded with lots of love. These dogs know who treats them right.
Like the others say, time and patience will work wonders...and lots and lots of treats!
Be sure to hand feed him and take things from him and quickly replace it with something else so that he gets used to knowing that you won't deprive him of a special treat or toy...have your Dad sit on the floor with him and do the same.
Growling isn't all that bad...it serves as a warning and it is much better to know that you should back off than to not allow growling and make the pup feel that all he can do is bite!
If you can, try to crate train him, leaving the door open and maybe putting a blanket over the crate. This can be his safe place. No one should be allowed inside the crate except for him. He will know that he can be left alone if he goes to his crate.
I love the pictures and seeing the change...you have brought out the joy in this beautiful dog...congratulations to you all!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Welcome!! I am so glad you have Samson!!
He looks like such a fun-loving guy! He will warm up to everyone in "Your" pack!! The walk and treats others suggest sound good to me!
Patience and Love are all they really need.
Congratulations!!
8)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys! thanks for the tips... Sam and Dad actually played around together a little bit this morning. Of course I was there and an hour later he was back to avoiding Dad, but it's a start. I don't get why he'll be fine for a time and then be afraid again!

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's a time consuming process. You need time to fix what's wrong with Sam. Perhaps your dad could keep some treats in his pocket, and give them to Sam when he comes near him. That way, Sam begins to associate your Dad with yummy treats. When Sam starts expecting treats and really starts to go to your dad, have your dad alternate between treats and just affection. If the affection scares him do the same thing. It just needs to be reversed. Treats (as long as Sam is food motivated) will make the process go quicker.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Awwww Sam - you're a beauty.

I can't add a thing to the great advice you've been given, but I do want to say that it sounds like Sam is in the right place. Love, love, love!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Currently Daddy has a pocketful of Nilla Wafers (one of the only things Sam will eat as a treat)... He is now the ONLY one to dish out the Nilla Wafers.

Lat night Sam and Daddy went for a walk, and today Sam sat by the door like a good boy, was let out to pee and then Daddy gave him his reward... Hopefully we'll see him warm up to Dad soon enough!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
:) I'm sure in time Sam will be fine.

Our adopted doodle Kirby wasn't the biggest fan of males (apparently males at his first home weren't very nice to him)...but it did not take long for him to become my husband's little shadow...he is now totally into following my husband everywhere :) Treats go a long way to winning over a doodle!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's just weird because he wont even go near my Dad sometimes, even if he has food and is sitting down holding out for Sam... He literally, RUNS away from him.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I personally haven't dealt with this situation, but I imagine patience is the key. It may take some time for him to trust others after whatever experiences he had in his other home. Hang in there!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sessa, thanks for the great tips!!!

Sampson still growls and barks at Daddy when he gets home, but no longer makes a fuss when Dad comes to wake us up from school. I even caught Sam on the couch with Daddy the other night. It seems that when Dad is level with Sam, there isn't so much of an issue. Dad must just seem scary to him.

Dad still calls Sam "Phil"... (Hint: Think about the movie Groundhog's Day) :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts