Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've been off the forum for a few days and I've missed you all! I have question for those of you whose doods are a little older. George and Grace are now 10 months old. George has turned into a mellow and obedient boy. And Grace has been through a really sweet stage too. But just this week, Grace has started running away when called, stealing things and running off with them, avoiding coming in the house when I call her. I have completely avoided chasing her because I know that makes a fun game out of it, and if I engage George in play, Grace with always come to join us, so that's what I do. But she is getting into some dangerous territory. Yesterday she stole a knife off the kitchen counter and ran away with it, blade in her mouth. Today she stole a garden tool that had a forked end on it and ran away with it. Each time we've had to outsmart her to get her back. Before this we have trained "drop" and "leave it" but it seems like all of a sudden she's refusing to cooperate. Is this a stage? Any suggestions? I'm worried she's going to get hurt and it's my responsibility to keep her safe. Do we go back to tethering and crating all the time?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I know how you feel Riley is doing that too, its scary, he is taking scissors, shoes, pens, I would also like to know the answers to your questions!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi, I don't have a lot of advice but I can tell you that this does sound like adolescent re-testing from your puppy and this is exactly why "DROP" or "LEAVE IT" are so important! So I would re-visit an obedience mindset or class for your sanity and your doodles' safety.

there are other threads here about this kind of thing happening later in a puppy's life with great insight, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts