Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
This is probably someone who bought without thinking and now is trying to rehome and make some money back from the purchase. I feel if you decide you can't keep a dog the best thing is to find it a good home and not worry about making money. Free ads I know aren't good either because you get all kinds of people. I just wish people would think before buying and putting a dog at risk.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Linda, thanks for responding to this...I felt that (since I am always the one to jump in with an opinion :oops:) I would wait to see what others think ... you said exactly what I wanted to say.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks Jac, it just makes me so mad when people buy a puppy then move 6 months later or so and "say we can't take the dog with us" :x I do understand in some cases you can't but this type of thing happens way to often and I always think to myself when you move don't you take your children with you or do you re-home them to????

A dog is a lifetime commitment and before purchasing one it should be carefully planned and thought through. I do not like the impluse buyers I feel these are the dogs and puppies that most likely end up in shelters. And then to add matters worse we have breeders who will not support the buyers when they do need to re-home. :roll: This makes me even madder at them than the buyers because then those pups or dogs most likely end up in the shelter because the breeder won't take them back and the impulse buyer gives up and just drops them off it's what I call the easy way out!!! :evil:

Sorry I just had to air this today. :(

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You know, Linda, I agree with you completely. It is hard, being in this business sometimes...and this is one of the things that frustrates me.

As hard as it is to turn away buyers, breeders should be very careful in selecting homes...but even then, we don't always select the right families...so it is extremely important to be clear that we want the dog back if anything goes wrong.

I think that sometimes people try to rehome on their own, much like in this ad, to recoup some of their costs (they don't think the breeder will give them enough money back)...and while I understand that it is really expensive buying our puppies, placing one up to the highest bidder really makes me angry because the highest bidder could be the worst possible home.

In my opinion, the breeder and the new owner should put the welfare of the dog/puppy before anything else...especially money!

Living creatures, loving creatures, like our dogs...deserve so much more.

(I like you analogy to children...that is so accurate!)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well Jac I'm glad that most of us here on this forum or on the same page when it comes to our pups. And I hope that they are on the othre forums as well. I really believe that these are breeders that are just trying to profit and don't care where the pups end up in the beginning or in the end.

I email Shannon a lot with this same issue I wish there was a way to track the breeder down when these dogs end up in shelters and we could make them take the pups or dogs back. I feel only the good breeders out there make sure that it is in their contract that the pup comes back to them if it doesn't work out with the family.

I could go on and on about this subject but you and others all ready know how I feel, and that doesn't help with the ones who don't care!!! :( I know that some shelters try and re-home but others don't even give the dogs more than a couple days and that is really sad. :cry:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have started to put my name and phone number on all microchip registration cards (I microchip the pups before they leave my home) so when the owner registers the chip, they also have a notation as to who the breeder is...I do this for the very reason here...I want to be notified if there is a rehome issue.
Still, in all fairness to breeders, some owners could make this choice and we would never know. *sigh*
I am going to write to you at home...I have an idea for a "crusade" and I hope that we can get everyone involved. (I think it would make a dent in mass production of dogs...I'll be in touch.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts