1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't searched for this....
but wondered if anyone can explain
why Abby's ears matt.
Not behind the ears, but along the tips !
I discovered they were getting thicker
while brushing her this past weekend
and found them matted....it seems all of a sudden.
She went to the groomer 2 1/2 weeks ago
and they didn't mention it, or indicate there was a problem....
and I certainly have never noticed it before.
She is 7 months old, never sheds....hasn't blown any puppy coat
...maybe that is starting??
She is 1/2 australian labradoodle...Her father is AD-F1B and mother American F1B....
does the difference in the thickness of her coat and
never, ever shedding at all have anything to do with it?

Coco has never matted on her ears.....
Leslie, River Rat....did you have this problem with Chouette??

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sandy's ears matt if I'm not careful - the very tips where the hair hangs below the actual ear. It started when he was around 6 months and stopped when his ear hair grew past 2 inches. I finally trimmed 3 inches off last week and left about an inch (yes, we joked he had pigtails) and now its matting again.

Honestly I just brush his ears every other day with a pin brush and its fine - :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We just noticed that one of Dex's ears is matted badly (on top of it)...and then some behind both. We need to work on them so they hopefully don't get shaved.

P.S. We also realized his tail is horribly matted...I fear we will have a dood with a naked tail soon.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i guess i have learned that just a quick brushing all over, will only glide over some of these matting spots....I will have to slow down and really work on her....having just trimmed her and not finding any of these and then BOOM! there they are just 2 weeks later with every other day brushing!!....Amazed me! :shock:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Well, i guess i have learned that just a quick brushing all over, will only glide over some of these matting spots....I will have to slow down and really work on her....having just trimmed her and not finding any of these and then BOOM! there they are just 2 weeks later with every other day brushing!!....Amazed me!
I agree - I have been so much better about brushing Dex almost every day, but his head is just so tough...and we never really thought about his tail :shock:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Do you think they get matted because they get wet?

Ears, head and tail are the areas that Tanner does NOT get mats.

His mats are under his front legs, his chest, and especially high on his back legs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I notice Lincoln gets some in his arm pit area :) . After bathes or when he is wet im going to start using a herbal leave in conditioner which will also keep fleas away too 8)

I just read on a site you should treat labradoodles hair like a perm? I was brushing him every evening but i like the look when he isnt brushed so much.

however his tail seems to easily matt so will continue to do that every evening

michele

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dewey gets mats on the ends of his ears too, and the fur on them is different than the rest of him, it's really fine and sheds a little, unlike the rest of his coat. A rake has worked pretty well to get them out.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had to use a long toothed comb...teeth fairly far apart....and a de-matting tool. I think I got them all out...but am now thinking she needs to be cut shorter still.....it is 97 at 6:20 in early early June!! Had a nice
long spring really....then BAM we are into the middle of summer already!
:evil:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Yeah I am not looking forward to trying to get these out - from having frequent ear infections as a puppy, Dex is very sensitive about having his ears touched. I will leave this (and the tail) to my husband because I am totally willing to just have a shorn dood and start over :)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leslie,

Dex looks pretty short in the avatar....
When was that taken?
8)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
My avitar photo was from sometime last month. He was wet so he also looks shorter :) He is back to his fluffy self now!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
well we were able to save Dexter's tail - my husband gave it a good cutting and it is still cute and now matt free. We also worked on his matted ear - there is still work to do, but I think we can get them out w/o a full shave.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OH great!! I think I will trim Abby once again this weekend. She is already growing out so much! I may have to just take her down to an inch all over since it grows back so fast!! Wish there was a clipper that will do 1 1/2 inches, or two.....I like that length the best.

I'll bet Dex appreciates being matt free and shorter! It is so hot here already that I know Abby will be much cooler once again with ANOTHER
hair cut!
8)

·
Registered
985 Posts
I just noticed this topic; I haven't been checking the forum that much. Sorry!

After we started taking her to a different groomer Chouette turned up with thickened ear edges too, and the groomer showed me that they were mats. I was shocked. I have a feeling that PetSmart hadn't dealt with them when I was taking Chou to them, and I never noticed it as the mats gradually built up. The groomer had to cut the hair short to remove them, and now I make it a point to brush her ears and the tips very thoroughly on a fairly regular basis. Chouette also tends to mat under her ears near her jawline, unless we keep her hair somewhat short. Right now she has a summer cut, but it's so convenient that I may keep her that way. It makes it easier to keep her mat-free.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, Leslie!

Good to hear from you!
I have been doing the same thing since I discovered Abby's ear edges to be matted.....combing regularly helps a ton!
I guess brushing just sort of smoothed right over them before.
I trimmed Abby again to day....she grows out so fast!
I use scissors, but may need to buy some clippers soon. I think it would be faster and easier....

8)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Jane, I use scissors on Chou's face between grooming jobs, but I usually leave the rest alone. I just like to see her eyes, and she tends to go a bit weedy on the bridge of her nose in between haircuts. I am still not ready to try clippers. My groomer isn't expensive and it's nice to have Chou all bathed and sweet-smelling, too. Although recently, since she's been going in the cedar lake (see the stories section) her fur has been a lot softer.

Yes, I think I was just brushing over those eartip mats, too. I've been trying to be more aware of them now, but keeping her shorter does help and I'm getting used to that look.

·
Registered
260 Posts
how interesting that this came up this weekend - we just took sammy to the groomers and they noticed the ear-edge mats too (well, i had noticed them, but wasn't sure what to do). they recommended shaving her ears since the mats were pretty bad and would probably hurt to brush out.

i'll try combing that part of her! the only other place she seems to get mats is her belly (which they also had to partially shave).

she looks kind of silly with no hair on her ears - like an 80s rockstar!

any recs on good combs or brushes? not sure mine are doing the trick.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GOODHEART....I was able to remove all the matts on the tips of her ears with a comb, and a dematting tool. It too awhile but it is done now and hasn't come back. I have noticed this afternoon, after scissor cutting an inch off her coat everywhere....that on her tummy are a few matts, tangles.....not so bad that I can't use my tool and get them out....or even just snip them out with scissors, as opposed to shaving her all down.
They aren't bad enough for that....
These non-shedding babies aresure to matt.....hard sometimes to stay ahead of it!
8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts