Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..........With Coco we had to train to stop nipping at us....
she was very mouthy and many times her little puppy teeth really grabbed us and it hurt!!! Not a full fledged bite, but man, she was
always nipping, hands, ankles, the hem of clothes etc. :evil:

Abby is the licker!!! She has never been one to nip, but OMGoodness!!
She will lick, lick, lick, not just all over your face, neck, hands....but also, your shirt, jeans, shoes, throw blanket, on and on.....She is the lickiest
dog I have ever had. :shock: Training her to stop, in a similar fashion as I dealt with coco's nipping......well, that's what we do, but.....its not working :!: :?:
A couple of kisses is precious and fine, but the extent to which she goes on and on is obnoxious! What should I try to diminish this habit.
When she does it to guests, it is just getting to be embarrassing.

Help! :shock:

Thanks!

G

·
Sorry I am no help. But I know what you are going through. My BFs dog will do this and it drives me nuts! I can't even lay on the couch in comfort. Tucker will just cruise by and lick as he goes by. When I know the kisses are coming I love them but when I am just trying to relax and get a face full of licks every 5 min it gets annoying. We tried using bitter apple or bitter yuck and even hot sauce and he just doesn't stop.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awwwh...that's really cute she is so affectionate :) But I could see it getting annoying. I never had to deal with this, but could you try asking her to "sit" after she gives 1 doodle kiss and treat? Maybe you could teach her that 1 is enough that way? I don't know if that would work, but just my first thought.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leslie,

that's a thought....I will try that, or some version thereof.....
she will probably...Lick, Sit, Receive her treat and start again....Lick, Sit, Treat.....Lick, Sit, Treat!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We taught Gus "thats enough". When we say that and he continues he gets a bit of a scolding and an alpha growl. Seems to work. We get lots of love but can put a stop to it, like right after a big raw meal. eeeew.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We say that's enough. Rosie will sit at my feet and lick for hours, if I let her. When it gets annoying I say "Rosie, okay that's enough" and move my feet. If she doesn't stop I'll send her to her bed, which is either her crate or her dog beg in the living room. She usually goes there and turns around and comes right back out. She's figured out that I don't mean for her to stay there just to knock it off. I also do this when she is lurking around the kitchen when I am making dinner. I get aggravated by those eyes darting around for dropped food. :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK MZ Princess PEANUT...she's a big time licker since day one hahhaa
I taught her KISS KISS and extend my chin or the side of my face.

NOW MAX OMG he's that way with certain people that visit like my daughter, my one neighbor and I remember when Leslie was here Max wouldn't stop wanting to kiss her hahhaa and i do the Knock it off with Max.

can't help you much except try the "kiss kiss" ????

Beau is a licker and we're working on kiss kiss hahahaa or i just end up playing fetch to distract them a bit.

OH Peanut...she'll kiss your shirt, pants, anything hahhaa!!!!

Guess she loves us alot :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Leslie was here Max wouldn't stop wanting to kiss her hahhaa and i do the Knock it off with Max.
hehe...Max was a much "stronger" kisser than Dexter...he scared me with the first kiss...haha...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quincy is very affectionate but not a big licker. My previous dog was a big kisser. She could clean your whole face and she was a very dominant female. I don't remember where I read it but I read that when dogs continually lick your face or clean another dog - it's a sign of marking - in essence, making you their b**ch. Pardon the pun. Is your dog dominant? That could explain it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Abby is trying to be dominant....there are telltale signs of dominance,.....though Coco can rule the roost, too. I have a feeling Abby will end up the alpha dog. Coco will give in to her, prefer her, give the bone to her....Abby of course, does all the licking, and absolutely will not be left out of a group hug, or...if I call Coco~ Abby comes first....but Coco is stubborn and she thinks about obeying for a bit before she does.
And eventually she does obey. Abby quickly obeys and all, but she wants to push through the doors first, I don't let her, but she tries....she will even get under my feet and in front of me, just trying to walk through the house. She is a good heeler....always checking up at me to see if I am happy with where she is....

Yep, I really think Abby is dominant. I had heard from a tr ainer a long time ago that licking is a sign of stress......not sure I agree....dunno.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Jax does the same thing! He licks and licks... He especially loves hairy legs...he goes after my husbands legs when we are watching TV. I call his legs sugar stix, b/c Jaxy acts like they taste great!
Dogs are Odd! But it cracks me up, so its hard to scold him. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts