Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As posted previously we live in a condo. Today while on our way out for a walk we were attacked by a self appointed condo commander who challenged Abby's status as a Service Dog. On two other occasions this guy has aggressively challenged Abby's right to be with me even tho no one else has a problem with her. Previously we were confronted by this person at dawn watching the sun come up. No one was in the area other than us. This time this guy put his finger in my face and poked me telling me he was not afraid of me... I could not hold back and shoved him back whereupon he started to kick me--Abby fled. The altercation happened in an area that is supposed to be video taped. A security guard appeared and grabbed me!!! I was amazed!~ I insisted in a police report and had the security guard call the police. The police arrived and took my statement then went to talk to the other guy. The manager taking our attackers side asked why I needed a Service Dog. Before I had a chance to answer the Police officer told him he had no right to ask that question. Then he reinforced Abby's right to go anywhere I go--NO EXCEPTIONS! I asked for a police report and have asked for copies of the security tapes. Later.while in the office waiting to see the manager I watched my attacker give him instructions which he followed to the T. I asked what was going on here, this guy attacks me and then you do his bidding? to which he responded and I quote
"He is doing something for the building you do nothing". Well I have filed a complaint with HUD and ADA and am now looking for an attorney to file a civil suit. Anybody with a Lawyer referral? That was our day how was yours?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!
My day was pretty boring.........................in comparison.
We have some laywers on this forum, hopefully someone
can help you out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some people huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
My day was boring!!

Sorry for the small minded busy body......every complex has one. Good luck to you, you do have the law on your side!

Strong wishes for a happy ending from NE Ohio coming your way!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I am sorry that happened to you. That is so not right. :evil: :evil: I can't believe someone would be so mean. I hope you get some help. I don't know if you can but can you move?? This may not get any better with that guy who is mean. HUD can help with the manger but maybe not the guy. I don't know. I hope you get answers and help with this.

G

·
Wow, that is terrible! I am glad that Abby stayed out of harms way. I am sure the situation would have escalated if she became defensive. If you are not attached to the condo, I would look into moving. The guy sounds like a real PIA bully just looking for trouble.

G

·
Wow that is incredible. I would do as much as possible to make sure this gets resolved for good. Is there a rule that you can't have dogs in your condo?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes we are dealing with an empowered bully who makes himself 'useful' to the 'management team'. I filed a complaint with HUD and Broward County and will file a civil suit after I get the police report in two weeks. Meanwhile my wife had nightmares about this guy last night which makes me feel like I should have beat the crap out of him instead of trying to avoid a confrontation. We cannot move since we have made our retirement home here and my MIL lives in this building too.
Heather, Service Dogs trump Condo laws. I think that's what pissed this guy off. He wrote the no dog rule when he controlled the BOD. It has since been amended to #20 limit and Abby will be #50. He has repeatedly used foul language with me which I have ignored. He has harrassed my wife in the elevator by making comments about the dog in front of neighbors. I'm really fed up with this.

G

·
You absolutely did the right thing in trying to avoid a confrontation! Renee would be having worse nightmares if you hurt the idiot. A civil suit should put him in his place more than anything physical. And try to avoid the jerk and let him know that you will be recording any encounter with him.

G

·
I agree with Linda. Just try to avoid the guy and keep doing what you are doing. Use the law to show him that Abby can be there. If he doesn't like it then he can move. Also, do you have a homeowners meetings? Maybe you can take Abby there and have a little meet and greet and give them a short education on what Abby is there for. It may help to get more tennets on your side and then Mr. Meany will have no one to complain too since everyone now knows what Abby's job is and not care that she is there.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm so sorry you've been treated so badly. Some people are simply not worth the O2 they use. I hope you're able to put him in his place legally for your sake and the sake of anyone else who he might be abusing.

My prayers are with you.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My husband and I had a similar situation happen in a condo development a few years ago. We finally sold and moved. The stress of not knowing when it would happen again was too much for us.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
How horrible!!
OMG! He actually put his finger in your face and got physical? There is NO anything, amywhere that allows you to be manhandled or threatened like this.
I wish I had an attorney to refer you to.......I hope You get one fast and persue this!
CRIKEY!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
HOLY COW!!! I am so sorry you guys have had to suffer through such ugliness!!! You did well though... by avoiding confrontation, fight him the smart way! Me? I am not so civilized... I would have decked him!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
wow MTD......i am saddened to hear that are PIA people like this that have nothing better to do than stir up trouble and harrass people such as you and your wife along with being physical!!!
I am so glad though Abby wasn't harmed

and HIGH 5 to you for following through with this and either suing or something getting a complaint against this shallow lifed individual!

Seems like he's used to having his way and pushing others around
he may have met his match............i am glad you didn't beat the crap out of him as it would have put you back to ground zero.

remember the mind can be a powerful tool ....use it well with a good attoryney :wink:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! I can offer no legal help, only moral support and wishes this huge problem is resolved quickly.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
you could actually have filed an assault charge against the bulley and had
the cops haul his ass to jail..even for a few hrs.. :lol:

but, i did get a responce from my cousin..he s a superior court judge dealing with civil cases in the city of San Francisco..

he really feels you have a strong case against the condo complex..he would advise if u do decide to sue..he d advise suing the deep pockets..from the owners all the way down to clown that assaulted you..

a good attorney would first file a claim against the condo complex..then file suit if things don t go the way you d like it..

·
Registered
349 Posts
He's most likely frustrated his rule got changed. Hang in there and don't give up ! You've worked hard and deserve to live where you chose and have your doodle. You definitely have a discrimination suit. It's wrong and he should be put in his place -- the civil way -- don't give into his bad mouthing (put a tape recorder in your pocket) and finger poking -- he's trying to get you to react.

React where it hurts -- his pocket !!!

Behind you 100% !!!! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Jane I'm putting a recorder in my pocket. What a Great @#$#@[email protected]# IDEA...THANKS :D :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wow!! So sorry you have to endure that kind of treatment, for just living your life peacefully and hurting no one. It is some consolation to know you are in the right, but, still.....hope it de-escalates asap

1 - 20 of 28 Posts