Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., so lately Calvin has decided to bark when he wants to come in the house. This is unacceptable. He goes out to pee in the morning and he and Madge play while I take my shower and kids eat breakfast. They would stay out there until we got home from our day. Well, lately Calvin has been standing at the back door barking to get in and it is very annoying. I'm sure my neighbors don't love it either. I am currenly going out and telling him "NO", but as soon as I turn around he is barking again. Any ideas on how to stop this? (I am currenly only letting them in when they are sitting nice and quiet).

HELP!
Leslie

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Boy that is a hard one, not sure I have an answer to this one maybe someone else can help. Inside when gracie barks for attention I shake a can of pennies at her. Didn't take her long now all I have to do is say "do you want me to get your pennies" she goes and gets in her crate and stays a while. I feel bad but it has broke her from barking at me. The bad part about it was she would do it when I was on the phone, just like a child does and starts asking for something when they know you can't get after them.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I've not had that bad of a barking issue - AB will bark if she sees someone or something and on occassion I have to go out and get her but normally if I yell NO she will stop.
Calvin may just be wanting your attention and he gets it when he barks I'd try the pennies in can and see i f that works or a spray bottle with water saying NO when you use them
Good luck

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I like the pennies idea. And the water but sometimes doodles get excited over water!! My mom tried training her molly with squrting her to redirect but molly learned how to catch the water in her mouth!! I bought a bark collar for mackenzie when we moved to town but its not foolproof as she has learned to shake her head to move the collar of her throat so she can bark! So depending on how smart your doggy is it may or may not be worth the $50!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I tried the can with pennies when Tegan was very young and whined in her crate of playpen. It only worked for a few seconds.

We have taken her to formal training beginner, intermediate and advanced and her trainer said we shouldn't say "no" to her because when you say no all the time it's just one word and you need to be specific. She told us to try calmly saying "shh shh quiet" or "no bark" or "whisper". We live on a park with a footpath in the back and a footpath at the side leading around the back. Tegan runs to the window every time someone walks on the path in the front or back and barks at them. I keep my voice low and try not to yell and tell her "Tegan shh, shh, quiet" if she stops barking I praise her and tell her "good quiet" and give her a treat. She is worse inside the house. When we are sitting in the back yard and people walk by, she runs up to the fence and if she doesn't bark we say "does Tegan need a good girl quiet treat" and she runs up and sits down and we give her a treat and tell her "good quiet". It's a long slow process but I can see some improvement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Again, I'm no expert, but rewarding Maya when she's quiet works for us. I say 'no bark' and give her a verbal reward or say 'Shhhh' with my finger at my mouth and she diverts her attention to my face and then stops barking for a sec, so gets a verbal reward. It works well if she's not really determined to bark, as when an intruder is present.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sadie's barking has been an ongoing concern as she goes to work with my husband sometimes to our shop and will bark when she hears someone at the door. It is intimidating for customers to hear a large dog barking at them, even though she is a loveable ball of fluff who wouldn't hurt a flea.
I have tried shaking pennies, spraying her with water etc and nothing has worked. She has a strong protective instinct and she barks when anyone approaches - both at the shop and at home
I am ready to buy a citronella collar to put on her when she is at the shop. Has anyone tried this and can you recommend a certain brand?

·
Registered
62 Posts
A couple of times when I've been walking Tegan, I have passed a woman with a larger dog who looks a lot like a Labradoodle, I haven't had an opportunity to speak with her yet because for some reason Tegan barks and growls and gets up on her hind legs pulling on the leash to bark at this dog and I'm trying my best to get her into a "down" position but she ignores me. This woman has a great technique in my opinion and I think I will try it. She put a treat right at the dogs nose and says "ignore" and they walk along this way and she tells the dog to ignore 2 or 3 times and then tells him good boy and gives him the treat.

Tegan seems to be a lot like Sadie and barks at everyone and everything she sees out of the window and the "shhhh Quiet" technique that we've been trying for several months doesn't seem to be working very well. I hate the thought of having to resort to citronella collars or other forms to get her to stop barking so I'll see how the "ignore" goes.

There's certain dogs that she barks at, labrador and golden retrievers and standard labradoodle types (she's a mini). Also she barks at people with skin colours that aren't white such as Oriental, East Indian and Afro/Carribean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts