Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still battlling with our 12 week mini doodle, Sophie in the housebreaking department.
Here is the problem we are running into: When I take her out to "go potty", she knows that she is going to get a treat just as soon as she finishes. In fact, sometimes, I have to shake the little can of treats, so she will walk out onto the grass and get motivated to "go". But now what Sophie is doing is just dribbling a little bit and then so excited that she will be given a treat. I hate to not give her a treat each time because she is learing to go outside to do her business. BUT... she is not completely emptying her bladder... just a few sprinkles pretty quickly. She simply wants the treat. Then, she comes inside, bets busy playing (yes, I am supervising closely :shock: ), but then she quickly squats and pees as if nothing is wrong. I scoop her up, take her out right away and she will dribble a little more, expect her treat, and think that she did nothing wrong in the house.

This is day 12 of us having her and as long as I take her out every 40 minutes or so (this makes for a very long day) she is usually fine. Any suggestions? I want her to learn to hold it for longer, at least an hour or 2 while still playing, before I have to take her out again. She can hold it for several hours in her crate without any problems at all. Please offer suggestions. I am ready to pay someone who is willing to take her for several weeks and potty train her. :idea:

When I do put her in her crate during the day, for an hour or so, just to give ME a break from watching her, she barks and howls like crazy. I have tried putting a towel over her crate, but she just pulls it into her crate and tears it up.
What am I doing wrong? Am I just expecting too much from a 12 week old? (She has slept through the night for the last 2 nights. 10:00 pm - 6:45am) Yay! :D
Please, any advice or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

Melissa and Sophie

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can totally relate. Our Kenai is just nine weeks old, and we've had her for two weeks now. We take her outside frequently, but we are no sooner in the house and she squats to pee again 5 minutes later. The other night she peed 5 times in the house in a two hour span.

We had a golden retriever who was difficult to train, and we kept the paper towel companies in business for weeks! But she eventually learned, and even learned to do her business in the woods, not on the grass. So, I just keep hoping that the light bulb will go on sooner, rather than later, with Kenai.

Keep doing what you're doing. Repetition and reward are what will eventually work.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Melissa, I know the frustration, Murphy is now 5 1/2 months old and the last accident he had was about 3 weeks ago, so needless to say this potty training takes a while. At 3 months old she is still very much a baby. Just give it a while. It seemed when Murphy hit 4 months old he started really learning alot of new things very fast. As far as training went we used a pop can with coins in it and shook it vigorously and in a stern voice said "no" when he pottied in the house. It seemed to work well. As far as making racket in the crate we found by putting one of my worn t-shirts in there with him the scent seemed to comfort him a little. Good luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh yeah, something else we started using the Poochie Bells with Murphy, they are great, they take a little time with training but well worth the purchase. If your not familiar with them they are simpy bells that hang from the door. Every time you take out your puppy you ring them, they get the hang of it and before you know it they ring their own bells.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts