Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of the recent events -(read "Calvin is gone!")-....We have decided to try to rehome Lizzie, our Wire Fox Terrier. She is always escaping and this time she took Calvin with her. She needs a family who truly understands the breed and her specific needs. Maybe she needs to be an indoor dog, maybe she needs a better, more secure fence, I don't know..but she gets out at least twice a month and we just can't stand the worry.

I want you all to know that we did not make this decision lightly. We got her as a companion to Calvin and she is very dominant and often will hurt him over food, toys or affection. This behavior is not o.k. We are not experienced enough dog owners to correct her natural instincts. (Nor do we want to). She deserves a home who can appreciate her for who she is and devote the time she needs. We love her very much and it breaks my heart to let her go. :cry:

On the other side of the coin, we will be getting another dog for the family. One closer to Calvins size and temperment. If we could clone him, we would.. :roll: . I am hoping to find another doodle, but rehomes in this area are few and far between. I am hesitant to get another puppy because they are so much work, and I still have alot of work to do with Calvin.

Please wish us well in our search for an appropriate home for Lizzie--and THANK YOU ALL for being so supportive during thier absence.

Leslie

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Some times even the right decisions are hard to make. I believe you are doing the right thing, especially if she is training Calvin in the wicked ways! :twisted: Good luck with your decision and also in finding another companion for calvin and your family. I too have been checking for re-homes, older pups in my area. It's not easy and I don't have the true time to spend training a young pup.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
ohio is not that far from me

im in west va we have some that i will be posting soon that are older if you are interested let me know what you are looking for

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am sure there are people out there who are terrier-lovers as much as we are doodle lovers, so i hope you can find a home that is a better fit for her. When my daughter was a toddler I had a rescue dog that i had to give back to the rescuer as I quickly realized the needs of the dog were more than I could give at that time in my life, and my daughter just had to come first.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Leslie, I am sorry that you have gone through so much agony in the past few days...your decision is one that we all understand was made out of necessity...you won't be judged here...only supported.
I hope that you find the perfect companion for Calvin and I know that you will find a wonderful home for Lizzie...perhaps someone close enough that you can visit with her once in a while.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie...i know it breaks your heart but your decision is NOT a bad one...you are keeping both dogs best interestsat heart including you and your family's as well.

I have worked and had both strays and rescue dogs for over 20yrs!!!
I hear and feel what you are trying to do...waht's best for all!!! They can be great dogs but we also have to consider at what price to everyone else involved.

For me, at this moment (after going thru rescue posts for 2mos+) i have decied to get another doodle for Max as a companion to grow up together.

Will it be alot of work? oh yeah but i feel well worth it! Older dogs would be great but there are NO doodles available like that... i was offerred older poodles with tons of problems.
But the real reason to go with a puppy again....so Max keeps his personality intact, learns to play and interact with a half-sibling, and has someone similar in nature to himself. And I hopefully instill good habits/traits ......ohhhhhhhhhh to think i start housetraining allllllll over again at 10am tomorrow( small groan)hahhahaa

LESLIE...after your experience this past week, possibly you are doing the right decsion. Hugs to you!!! and you know we're here for you!!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Leslie, many years ago, I rescued a Kerrie Blue Terrier (Sadie) the day after getting a divorce and moving into my own home. She was a God send. I was so thankful to the family that realized that she wasn't right for their situation and placed her for adoption. Sadie and I had many wonderful years together. She was a handful but I needed the challenge and distraction.

I'm sure you will fine the right person for your Lizzie.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Amen to all of the above. You have made a very courageous decision, and like annieG when she adopted a rehome that provided the challenge she needed at the time, you will be providing exactly the right pet to some lucky person! Good deeds generate more good!

G

·
Leslie,
Hard decisions are usually hardest before you make up your mind. May you now have peace knowing the decision you made is what is best for your family. There will be a better fit for Lizzie and hopefully you will be able to visit.
Linda

·
Registered
298 Posts
Leslie,

Our hearts ached for you during your recent crisis.

We are all only human and can endure just so much as a family. We can take on different challanges at various stages of our family's life.

You can state with pride that you have done your very best, and nobody can do more than that!

So do what you know in your heart will be best for all, and things will work themselves out.

P.S. You might want to post a thread for Lizzie in the "looking for a breeder" or "considering a labradoodle" sections. After all, you were looking for a labradoodle when you adopted her, you never know??????

Maddie and Lexi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts