Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to surf websites and look at all of your gorgeous dogs. It is amazing how many sizes and coats there are out there! But I am very curious as to why most pups are solid in color. Do they simply sell better? Or is it hard to find parti poodle parents?

As I said, I am just curious. I happen to LOVE the multi colored pups but I so often see them solid. Of course, they are adorable in any color!! LOL

Well, you know what they say about curiosity and the cat!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Cissy,
I love the multi colored dogs too!
Finding quality Poodles for mixed breeding is not easy. There are few Poodle breeders who will allow their dogs to be purchased for mixed breed breeding programs.
Also, parti Poodles are faulted. Silly but true. In the Poodle world, parti dogs are not readily accepted.
So, given the difficulty in finding a parti factored Poodle for the programs, the difficulty of finding GOOD Poodle parent dogs, and understanding that getting parti pups requires BOTH parents to be parti factored, it is not a common color for Doodles. (You don't see parti Labs or Goldens!)
It takes time to breed for parti puppies, and then to find an unrelated adult to breed to the puppies when they grow...so it is not a common coloring...however, they are becomming very popular and many of us are trying to move toward the parti colors.
I have two moyen Poodles with parti factor, and I have a parti F1B Labradoodle female coming (apricot and cream) and I have an F1B (co-owned with Maureen from Labradoodle Ranch) Goldendoodle that is also cream and apricot parti factored...but cream and apricot are not too noticible!
Since my only other (colors) for parti are Poodles, I won't be able to breed them to F1Bs...
It gets very complicated...so if you find a parti pup, grab it! :D

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jaq. You explained it beautifully. I saw some on a breeders website in West Virginia and which got me to thinking about how I rarely see them. I love looking at Nancy's Aussiedoodles as they are so spotty and cute! (I know spotty is not the correct terminology, but dang it, they are adorably spotty!)

That is funny how parti poodles are not really acceptable in the breeding world. It is like flowers, I think. Roses and orchids are so lauded but who gets to decide which flowers are beautiful? I happen to not particularly like roses. They just don't float my boat.

It is a matter of taste and I, for one, love the parti and phantoms. I hope you can find some to breed for your program!

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Cissy, as I'm sure you've read, hybrid breeders are looked down on my many simply because they are crossing breeds rather than breeding for
purebreds.
I can only speak for myself, but I don't use Parti colored dogs mainly because while I'm not breeding to a purebred standard, I still try very hard to choose parent dogs that fit THEIR purebred standards. This eliminates parti poodles, curly tailed labs, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feel that there are good quality parti standard poodles.

My opinion is that there are quality parti standard poodles to breed with. I think that they are not as easy to find, but they are definately out there. I have a parti standard poodle that I breed F1B labradoodle puppies with and I had an outstanding litter with a parti factor labradoodle from Labradoodle ranch. I feel they are top quality puppies with outstanding coats. Again that is my opinion :lol:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Tammie, I'm not saying there's a thing wrong with them. For me it's just one less complaint for the purebred fanatics to make. If my breeders are as good or better quality dogs than theirs are, it puts a muzzle on that at least.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree that if we all use only quality dogs, it will stop some of the nay saying from the breeders who think we should not be breeding labradoodles at all. :)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
It just kills me when they try to claim hybrid breeders just pick up any non registered mutt that resembles a lab... and resembles a poodle and breeds them in some back corner and charge through the nose for them. It's so untrue and unfair. So I do my darnedest to choose good quality dogs to be able to nip that accusation in the bud. I've actually had a couple of Lab breeders ask to use one of my females with their stud because they liked her so well. THAT is what I want to have happen. NOT that I do it, but it's good to know they at least approve of my dogs. lol

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Tammie, I agree...and I would LOVE to find a beautiful parti Poodle like yours! You and Maureen have made me absolutely green with envy!

As for the people who jump on a chance to bad mouth doodle breeders, I find that their biggest complaint is not the conformation issues (although that is something they would discuss if it made any sense to them) but on health issues. When I tell them that I test my breeding stock and what tests I run, and I show them my return policy and my warranties, they usually do concede that there are some good doodle breeders out there...we can only win them over one person at a time.

The best way to convince "them" that we have great dogs, is to continue to do our best to create great dogs! If we are responsible, caring breeders who are not in this for the bucks, they will respect that. At least that has been my expierence.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jacque, I agree totally! Thank you for the compliment. I think if we all try to just breed the best dogs we can breed. We will all work towards the same goal which is to produce quality puppies!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tammie, the pup on your avatar is ADORABLE!! If that is the result of your breeding, you are doing something right!! Cute, cute, cute.... :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey, Tammie, I went to Montrose many years ago (a lifetime ago, actually)...is Winnie's still there?
I had my first Navajo Taco at Winnie's I still remember how huge it was...they had GREAT food...home cooking...ummm, good!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI TRENDON! nice to meet you

re: parti's may be considered a fault in the poodle world, but in the doodle world if one has excellent temerament, health, structure
passing tests
Also it opens up another door of color genetics in the doodle breeding world. In fact a simple DNA test for (health too) coat color could prove valuable as well.

QUESTION: how many have parti F1b doodles?
and has anyone seen a f1 parti yet? (i haven't only in higher generations)
AND I am hearing of more people really LIKING parti-colored Doodles

CISSYK...spotty is the way to describe the word "MERLE" :D wh/is from Austr Shpd

PS I love Partis :D :D and CUTE avitar Trendon

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 2 young males that are parti factor f1 they are both 10 months I am starting there testing. Hope all goes well. I have never seen a parti f1 just parti factor or miss marked. As far as Winnies restuarant it is not here anymore sorry!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks AnneMarie! I think that Nancy's "Polly" is one of the coolest dogs I have ever seen.

I am glad that breeders are looking to produce more parti's. I think that color is like anything else in our market society. When solids become the norm, people will want multi colors because they will be "rare."

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
When Madison (my moyen Poodle girl) goes into heat again, I have my eye on Trekker from Judy Albertson's line...he is very heavily mismarked, but not quite parti. He is an F1 and his legs are shorter, but that is common for the first miniture breeding...my Madison has great structure and should improve Trekker's. He has a typical F1 coat so breeding him back to my Poodle will be good. I will hope that their genetic markings will make some very interesting pups...at the very least I'll finally get chocolate with NO BLACK! hahaha

Tammie, sorry that Winnies is gone...it was a nice place for locals. ...and time marches on... :roll:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The puppy on my picture is from my last litter. He lives now with Judy at Tualatin River Labradoodles. He is cute!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts