Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunkin has been socialized with other dogs at the dog park and the two big dogs my in-laws own. However, we have had two incidents where Dunkin appears and acts very mean and aggresive towards other puppies. Almost if he would attack if I let go of the leash. He is so playful towards bigger dogs and kids but any dog that is a puppy he freaks out. It really makes me upset and embarrassed. :oops: One time it was in our home and the other time it was out at Petco! I Petco I made a point to be uninterested in the puppies to see if jealously was his issue. He seems mad anyways! I'm nervous that he will turn out to be a mean dog! Whats up with that? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a sort of similar situation with our 13 week puppy and I have a suspicion it may be leash-related which I've heard makes some dogs feel frustrated and insecure. She goes to a puppy training class and plays well with the other pups when off leash but when she's back on her leash during the training segments, she will sometimes lunge and bark and play growl (at least I HOPE it's play growl) at dogs to her right and left a couple of times during the hour session. When that happens, I distract her with a few sits. It also happened when I had her with me in a pet store and she lunged and barked and sort of growled at a much larger lab that walked right by her. She's also played with other larger, adult dogs with no problem off leash. I've haven't noticed anything amiss when we go for walks, but I keep her at a pretty good distance from dogs she doesn't know. I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, but wanted to let you know you're not alone.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi!
How is Dunkin doing now? Any changes in his behavior?
I think that often a puppy needs to assert himself and show that he is top dog...maybe that is all he is doing. Just keep an eye on it and make sure that it doesn't become aggression.
You might want to try using a prong collar...they look bad, but are really the best training devices! Just be sure that it is a proper fit.
Here is a good website regarding prong collars...they have helped us get through any/all training situations and my dogs love to get the collar on, it means they are about to have fun!
http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi...Dunkin has been doing fine. He has a strong personality. I think he wants to be "Top Dog" with every dog. He played really nicely last Saturday at a dog park with a dog that was smaller then him. He kind of got a kick out of the other dog enjoying chasing him. All Dunkin wants is to be chased. We thought it was strange at first but he looooooves for anyone or animal to just chase him. My husband and I have noticed that he is not interested in sniffing other dogs although they all sniff him. Any thoughts on that? I think I may post that topic.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am happy with your results! Sounds like you are all doing great!
The sniffing is new to me...that is strange! I will be interested in seeing what others say about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts