Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know human food is off topic, but we talked earlier about the toxic foods from China in our pet food, and its possible place as just the tip of the iceberg. Well, here's a little more of that icy threat.

Please link to this article by Dr. Mercola, pointing out, among other things, that China is poised to be in the same position with food exports as they are with manufacturing. i.e. their share of the garlic trade in the US has grown from 1% to 73% by 2005. They are poised to do the same with strawberries.

Needless to say, with China's dismal record on food safety, this is horrid! Please read this article. Thanks.

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/ ... 18212.aspx

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I dont normally shop walmart, but you cant beat their $4 prescriptions. I was in the other day picking up one and grabbed some yummy strawberries very cheap straight from california and organic to boot and some lovely idaho potatoes. As with eveyrthing I would think its buyer beware.

Here is another story, yesterday I went to the beauty supply store to get my daughter some extension hair and such and decided to grab a hair iron as mine is going on the blink after 6 years (shouldnt complain I know!) I get it home, notice it is made in china (ugh I cant believe I didnt notice that) then I think ok whatever, I use it - it works great - then I notice a tag hanging from the cord. I think ok its going to say dont put in water but you know what it says?? THIS CORD CONTAINS LEAD WHICH IS KNOWN TO CAUSE BIRTH DEFECTS (I am 7-1/2 months pregnant) I completely freaked out and my DH packed it up and I am returning it tomorrow. Since when can we sell lead products in the US???

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey, Micky, congratulations on your pregnancy! I didn't know!

About the cords, I don't think this is unusual...it seems that the cords have always been toxic but they have only recently forced notice labels. I don't know if this is just a product from China thing or everywhere. Still, I'd take it back too!

This whole thing is making me so cautious...overly so. I went to the store last night (even before reading this post, and thanks for posting it Deb) and every time I looked at fruits or veggies or meat, I would pick it up, read labels and wonder if something was missing on the label. I am getting paranoid! (But saving money and losing weight! LOL)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, a $4 prescription would be hard to beat. It sounds as thought it's what they call a "loss leader." WalMart might take a loss on the drug, but while you're in the store, you can't resist making an impulse buy or two... like those luscious strawberries or potatoes.

Like Jac, I'd tread very cautiously. Strawberries are near the top of the list of foods that it pays to buy organic, as they are pesticide Hades from the commercial growers. (I know, I buy them at CostCo, in spite of knowing better. They surely are Good!)

And, like Jac, I get a bit skeptical of what I see in markets that comes in from overseas. Other countries may not share our farming laws, in fact most don't. (At the rate we are going on GMO foods, this may not be all bad...... :( )

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Jac are you kidding??? I thought you knew a long time ago! Sorry :)
Its a boy by the way ;) Quite the busy little man.

Deb yeah besides strawberries I have heard about apple juice being a HUGE pesticide arena. Organic certainly is suppose to pay there too.

I have already ordered my cloth diapers and covers and when its time for food I will be making it all myself and freezing it in the ice cube containers. Except for an occasional earths best for the diaper bag we should be set. :)

This whole thing - people and dog - is so scary. But I think that there are so many people out there that dont care or just trust in our government to be policing everything that they are lacksadasical when it comes to affecting any type of change.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good for you Micky! My good friend is expecting her first child any day now and she also bought those wonderful new cloth diapers...man how things have changed!
She had some great sites for baby products that are pure and environmentally safe...pretty nice sites. She was on a registry there.
A boy, eh? Well congratulations again! I am so happy for you!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
In my day when I had my child, ummm 34 years ago
all we knew was cloth plus I was a bit of a "flower child"
so it is all I would use.
Funny how things do go full circle!!!! :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Micky, congratulations. Do keep us posted on the new arrival.

Where you you Get cloth diapers these days? Are they still the nice, soft cotton? I was on a hunt recently, because I'm supposed to use that soft cotton diaper for polishing my dining room furniture. I couldn't find them.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, these are sooooo different from the kind we used to use! (Although I believe I found those not long ago at a KMart or something)...but now they use organic diapers, and they are so soft and have little inserts for night time use and such...very soft, cute...and nothing at all like we used! They even have sprayers that you use to clean them off...no dipping them in the toilet! LOL
http://www.naturescrib.com/cloth-diapers.html

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Gene wrote
Since some of us are "getting up there" in age, maybe we should find out if they have "adult sizes"!
Bahahaahahhahahaaahaaaaaa!!!!
Then our Doodles will have to look after us, can you imagine??????
Jonah & Miko in charge of Gene, they put Gene in the crate
when he needs a time out. Hahahahaahhahahahaahaa!!!!!!

Ok I am going back to work now needed a break.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
wow i didn't realize these kind of cloth diapers are available...i use the old fashioned cloth diapers for staining wood hahhahhahaa

congrats Micky!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Here is where I got the prefolded https://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/
And I have a few packs of the non prefolded (sometimes easier to use on little wee babies and definitely really good dust clothes and staining clothes!!). All are cotton. I am going to try to use covers but I find the vinyl pants soooo easy to use and I havent had a problem with rash or irritation in the past so we shall see, I have some of both! I have three dozen of the green stitched infant diapers which when I switch to the blue stitched older baby diapers I can fold the green in three and use as a diaper doubler! It works great. I also use rice paper liners (not even remotely made from rice!!) Anyway if the baby only pees you can rewash the liner a few times otherwise if the baby leaves a little present you can safely flush the liner and present :)

I find I am in the middle - I am for sure not a pampers/hospital birth mom, but I am not a hemp, wool, home birth mom either! Trying right now to find a place in michigan to have the baby. The two hospitals I have visited so far demand constant fetal monitoring (so no walking to help with labor) and a mandatory iv upon arrival and no food or drink just to name a few. Not going to happen :) So now I am onto a birthing center attached to another hospital http://www.stjohn.org/Women/Pregnancy/ where (amazing as it is) you get to wear what you want, there is a tub to relax in, you can eat something if you feel like it, walk around until the cows come home and there is a queen bed for birthing or a ball or chair or whatever you want. So its like the middle I suppose! Of course you have to be low risk which they say I am even at my age! wooohooo! Then I have to find a midwife or doctor, but the birthing place gave me referrals so that will be mondays project!

And I thought it was complicated when Mackenzie had 11 puppies!!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow i didn't realize these kind of cloth diapers are available...i use the old fashioned cloth diapers for staining wood hahhahhahaa
Annmarie, sounds like we're going to have a run on cloth diapers. You can stain to your heart's delight, and I'll have a supply of dust cloths.

Good for you. Micky, on your healthy choices all the way around. Go for it. And thanks for the cloth diaper lead...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If only there were those kinds of choices when I had mine!!

the last time I found cloth diapers it was at K-Mart. that was probably 7-8 yrs ago. I really haven't looked since then, but I might just to see who carries them. They do make the best cleaning cloths but there is an alternative for cleaning. Try the kitchen towel section. They make "flour sack" type dish towels now that work great!

I wouldn't diaper a baby with them, but they are great for cleaning a table or staining.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts