Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI EVERYONE :D

I am in the process of writing a booklet on Gardening with dogs and children- friendly plants (both houseplants and outdoor garden plants) as I have many customers now calling back this year
saying that previous designs worked and they are happy someone took their dog and/or small children into consideration when doing garden design. I myself have had a few run-ins in the past with my children and
yes our doodles.

NOW I have some customers requesting a booklet they can have at home for future reference. NOW while i am at their house it's easy to discuss their design and specific plants with them.
HOWEVER i've had requests over time from this forum for help.

SO I am also open to YOUR suggestions of what is important to you.At the moment I am doing the draft and organizing it along with some
pictures but nothing fancy.
MORE like a the hold cold facts with possibly a bit of humor included :wink: So would anyone possibly be interested in booklet of this nature?

for now it's giving both mildy digestive issued plants to highly toxic
possible side effects
what parts of plant for flowring and/or fruiting plants
There will also be suggested designs that can deter dogs from
entering gardens and/or providing a place for your dog to be.
along with plants that can be knocked over and still survice
a doodle 500 run, wrestling andor regrow quickly

PS i am also trying to write a mini article for the blog on this subject as well

G

·
There is a book I got from the library called Dog Friendly Gardens by Cheryl S. Smith. Do the opposite of that book. It was so long and dry that I couldn't read it and she had said that she has rhodedandrins (sp?) in her yard which are highly toxic to dogs if they eat them!!! I think there were good points made in the book buried under all the other stuff!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS Heather !! that's exactly what I myself want, short, sweet and to the point but useful at the same time :D

I know I have a collection of over 150 gardening type books
I hated when i had to cross reference sometimes 3 or more books on the same subject whether for me or a customer

·
Registered
248 Posts
Annmarie, what a great idea! As a new home owner I'm thrilled to finally have a yard, but clueless about what is ok for my girls. Our back yard is a totally blank canvas with grass only and I'd like to do something along the fence, but haven't figured out what to do yet.

One thing that'd be really helpful in a brochure like this is a list of products (weed killers, grass treatment, etc.) to use in dog areas. I'm so afraid to treat my yard with anything because I don't want my girls to get sick.

Sadly, I had a friend who's dog died after ingesting part of a sego palm (a very popular plant in FL) and we refused to buy a house because of the segos in the yard.

Again, great idea. Go Annmarie.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes!! Ann Marie! You must do this! Your knowledge combined with your love of dogs (and children :wink: ) will help you to create something very useful!
You have read about my Foxtail problems...maybe a section on how to identify and eradicate seriously harmful plants?
Also, I have toyed with the idea of planting ground cover to take the place of the Foxtails...but I know that ground cover (and Foxtails) make a good hiding place for rodents...and, therefore, snakes! So, any short ground cover that is hardy and yet not too high growing? (Yes, I know...grass! LOL)
And I would like to see good photographs of harmful plants. Many times people call them by different names...I don't care what they are called...I just want to know them when I see them.
And, since my dogs love to chew wood and leaves, are there any hardy trees that won't harm them?
Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Great idea, Annmarie! I'd love a book or booklet like this! Nicky loves to eat plants, trees, etc. so it would be helpful to know what not to plant. It would also be great to know what I could plant that might survive being trampled or chewed.

I don't use poisons (such as weed killers or insect baits or sprays) because they're dangerous to people and pets, but I would like some alternative suggestions. Right now I need to kill a couple of fire ant colonies, but I've looked in Home Depot, Lowe's, and Walmart and can't find a safe product to use. Do you have any ideas?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Do it fast!! I NEED IT!!!! Thank you!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NEXT QUESTION:

WOULD AN EMAIL FILE be something perferred? just curious
as it can be sent as an attachment, saved in a file along with being printed out.

i am also going to have a booklet form

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I would like that. If I could get it in e-mail form. I think it is a great idea.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I would love a straightforward guide like that! Sounds like a great idea :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
An email format - or PDF file, which could be printed out & posted somewhere convenient would be really helpful. Also, if there are any photos of the plants w/the descriptions or names of the harmful ones that would be really helpful, as I do not have a green thumb.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YOU are all great with your honest and helpful replies! i also like to try to give people the type of service and/or stuff I look for.

So taking 20yrs of experience, some with doing gardens for dogs and kids in mind along with keeping in mind harmful plants both inside and outside the home

that way you can even print out a section or a page etc and take it with you when you go to buy plants!
i know how it can be ...you stand there and go" now which plant isn't good and which is?"
also prevention is great way to ensure safety especially those with fenced in yards and/or doggy doors meaning you're not always with your dog every second. peace of mind

I will try to get this completed asap but i can tell you it does take a bit of time and YES it will be done before the snow flies hahhaaaaaa

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Good Idea!!

Moon Flower, Jimson, Gypsum Weed....all one and the same plant
is extremely toxic to dogs and kids are now smoking it...it is an
hallucinogen and dangerous! Pretty flowers that bloom around 4 pm and all night....then close in the morning and wither.

Are you doing just the common things everyone probably has?
Regionally specific could get pretty tedious to compile!!!

Jac,
I think I wouldn't put in anything that can hide rodents and snakes!
Don't trade one problem for another!! What about the fake/mock strawberry...it is fairly low to the ground and pretty hardy....don't know if it grows there....

8)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Email would be fine..........We're adding and removing plants right now.
What about peonie's?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Thanks Heather........peonies's are not on there........BUT....marijuana is?? hahahahahahaha!! :lol:

G

·
Yeah I know no marijuana...its bad for dogs. Knew that already!!! hahaha

Also Linda I just found on that website today a list of non toxic plants so I am using that as well. My landscaper is gonna hate me!!! Nope can't use that it will hurt the dog. I have a feeling i will be saying that a lot tomorrow!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts