Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the new look for Chouette.

They did trim her eyelashes a bit, and I don't care for the blow-dry look. Also, we watched through the glass while they did the preliminary stuff, and Chou's tail was wagging merrily at first, but the groomer wasn't talking to her at all or reassuring her; she treated her as though she was an object. Then when the groomer pulled the hair out of her ears Chou started crying, and after that the tail was still. :cry:

So I wasn't thrilled. Is that normal? Do groomers need to be uninvolved to induce cooperation or did we just get someone who maybe should rethink her career options?

We were so glad to retrieve our little one! And at least now you can see her eyes! :p

Leslie

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My experience with groomers is that they all have their preferences and unless you are very specific about what you want, they default to their preferences. One of the groomers that Tanner went to pulled the hair from his ears and trimmed his eyelashes...First time, though, I had asked her not to and she didn't. The second time, fool that I was, I assumed they had kept a record of what I wanted..nope. I assumed this because since they charge as much as my hairdresser and my hairdresser keeps a record of what she uses on me, I figured they kept records on the dogs. Wrong! He came home with no eyelashes and no ear hair.

Anyway, Chou, looks beautiful..even the blow out. Are those bows in her hair?

:) :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
she is cute, love the ribbons.

my personal feelings is a groomer should be kind and your description isnt a kind one. I wouldnt go back, but then again I am very picky.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are those bows in her hair?
Yes, they are! Rosalena wants to leave them in and I don't, so when I return the kid to her dad this afternoon the bows are going!

I had asked the groomer not to cut the eyelashes and she assured me she wouldn't. She didn't take them all off but they're shorter. Didn't know about the ear hair treatment. I felt I had delivered my trusting puppy up to a torturer! Now I know for next time, though.

I'll like it better once her fur looks more like herself, but it's nice to be able to see her eyes better.

Leslie

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh i'm sorry she had a bad time - she looks very cute though.

I'm telling you - the groomers at Petsmart are totally hit or miss. I'll never take Dex back to anyone but this one girl who is SO nice to him (we watched from a distance and she lets him give her kisses and petted him). We took him to 2 other Petsmarts and it was like they tortured him :shock:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
She looks so adorable though
We want all our doggies to have good experiences
and for that reason I would not go back to that
groomer again.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
poor sweetie - she looks cute

I wouldnt go back if it were me, but I dont take AB to groomer she was not happy to be left and she is NOT a crate lover so we doo her at home

our neighbor used the petsmart here for her husky and is pleases, says Sascha is always happy when she gets her.

I think to some groomers, it's just a job, to others they Love animals and its' quite apparent in the way they handle them, but you find that in any profession , I've worked in Medical most of my life and it still amazes to see how cold and uncaring some of the medical profession is

I hope you find a good groomer -ask around and get referrals - check with your vet or other vets, soemtimes they know of good groomers

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I agree it's hit and miss at Petsmart. Had a horrible experience in Florida at one store with my cocker. I came to pick him up and they were yelling at him!! No one EVER yelled at him before...or after I might add. Then when I moved to another town in florida....the Petsmart there was wonderful!

I take Jonah and Miko in friday to Petsmart....Miko for the works (the swifter duster will be able to see and collect less dust), Jonah for company mostly and also a bath and sanitary trim.... :oops:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Fortunately, Ebbe's Doggy Day Care has grooming and very kind groomers. It isn't too expensive and that day's daycare is included in the price! I e-mail a picture of one of Jacque's dogs to them and her groomer did exactly that! In fact I may go a skoash shorter next time.

I also like it because it is a familiar fun place for Ebbe which also cuts down on the anxiety. They also have kenneling and training.

You may want to see if this is an option.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
awww she looks fab :) I love that you can see her eyes! I tried that with Sandy, but it grew back too fast!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
:? Decisions ... Decisions. What to do? What to do? :?

She looks so cute, but is she walking into furniture? Maybe just a light trim. With or without she'll still be your pretty girl. :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Even if you don't want a full groom, if you plan to have her groomed by somone other than yourself, it is good to start early so it isn't so traumatic. Some have mentioned a sani trim..that might be a place to start :wink:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
oh my gosh I still LOVE that girl!
I should post pictures of RoyBoy....there is NO resemblance except the long legs!

I think I would talk to the manager of the grooming shop or the store, about that particular technician.....shoot, especially being on display you might expect some kindness being shown! Poor Chouette. I do believe they need the hair plucked from their ears once in a while, because of potential infections, but maybe not the first couple times of getting to know someone, or a grooming setting?

I can hardly see the bows!
:wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Chouette looks adorable and what sweet eyes!!!

WE won't go back to the Petsmart here as we watched MAX overtake 4 girls hhhhaaa and he was only 6mos old then. Also they didn't listen to what i wanted trimmed and also never finished the areas we did want trimmed. MAX is a dollbaby for me so Ido all his grooming and I think one gal at petsmart went home to have a drink AFTER grooming max hahhaaa

I am taking Peanut this Sunday to a grooming placer that is highly recommended by another womean with a goldendoodle who goes there.
I am sooooo nervous and am going to be VERY specific. They also have you stay a while before leaving...they want to get to know you and your dog as well as make sure your dogis comfortable with the groomer :shock: BUT they are used to grooming goldendoodles.

I just realized Peanut's grooming costs MORE than my hair cut hahahhaa

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I just realized Peanut's grooming costs MORE than my hair cut hahahhaa
Seriously. Dexter's haircut costs 2x what mine do :shock: Plus I get my hair cut like 3-4 x a year max. Dexter has been going every 2 months :shock: Maybe I could get my hairdresser to do his hair :)

I have to shop around more - maybe I could find something a little less expensive.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
One thing I have noticed with Tanner, when the previous groomer cut off his eyelashes, he got an eye infection repeatedly until the lashes grew out all the way. The lashes seemed to stick into his eyes and trapped dirt. I will always instruct them...DON'T CUT THE LASHES!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I'm a nervous Dad today! Jonah and Miko are at Petsmart right now and the house is quiet and empty! :cry: Jonah is getting a sanitary cut, nails and a bath....NO LINDA, I'M NOT CUTTING THE HAIR OVER HIS EYES! :wink: Miko is getting the works. I told them trim the head, leave the ears (hair on the ears that is....hope they wouldn't have removed them anyway! :shock: ), and the rest just shave down short. She's been really hot, muddy and once again I found a 2" stick matted in her coat. You've seen the videos, you can understand. I will be posting pictures once we all get home.....soon, I hope! Her little face was pathetic as I left. Even Jonah was all upset I was leaving. He thought at first...."Great, new friends!!", then it went to...."Dad, where are you going...Dad, Dad....don't leave me here!"

Geez.....I am pathetic! :roll:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts