Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Archie keeps swiping things---and they are usually big things---then carries them around proudly in his mouth. He has a certain love for any type of throw rug...or towel...or blankets. If he can get his teeth around it he'll carry it off.
Is this a common doodle thing or is he a hoarder or something.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
LOL

well my first thought is watch out for blanket puppies
thats what my lab thinks he needs to do!

next thought is my client who is a vet shared with me a story
about doing surgery on a dog who ate a blanket.

Other than that guess you need to start tacking things down!

M~

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahaha I can just imagine! (I know, it might seem funny to me, but not to you when your house is rearranged!)

This won't apply to Archie, but Lexie used to move blankets around, and rugs and dog beds...but she did outgrow it. Except...when she is pregnant, then she doe it a lot too...for her, I think that it is a nesting thing. Some dogs just have stronger nesting instincts. (By the way, she has turned out to be the best mother too. 8) )

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Toby does the same thing! We have opened the first floor to them since he is now fully housebroken. I have caught him stealing kitchen towles, bath towles and he will grab any clothes left in his reach. He is now as tall as Lani, about 21" at the shoulder and 42 lbs. (she is 48)He can stand up and grab things off the counters if we are not watching him! Lani never did this before, now she is starting. :shock: The startle can is back in action hoefully this will work. I'm in Detroit this weekend watching my Mom and Dad's dogs so I'm having doodle withdrawl!!!! :cry:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning I opened the door to let him out but first he had to grab a chair cushion and was running around the yard with it in his mouth. At least he dropped it before he peed!
The other day it was my daughter's rollerblade!
He doesn't chew anything just carries it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yep, my doods love to carry stuff around and they HATE to bring it back! And you're right, the bigger the better. Lot's of the time they argue over what they've got, which has ended up in a lot of shoes being torn in two. :x One of the doods found a really big stick (almost a log!) and could barely carry it alone. They actually started to argue over it, but figured out that they could carry it better together. It was hysterical watching them run around outside with this long stick yolking them together like oxen.

But it can be really infuriating when they swipe your favorite sweater or slipper. We've been teaching, "drop" for the past 6 months and it is starting to catch on. George almost alway drops, Grace almost always doesn't. We have safe zones in the house where we keep everything picked up and put away, but when Grace is in another area she's either tethered, or I've got her collar. It's getting better, but this can be a very persistent habit...

·
Registered
164 Posts
LOL!!! My doodle carries everything too...anything you can think of he will carry it. Sometimes he gets so excited with something he sort of prances when he walks, lol!

My moms chesapeake bay retriever carries huge rocks and cynder (sp?)blocks :shock:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Oh yeah. My Toby is a carrier pup as well. He won't go out to the bathroom without one of his "babies" in his mouth. We took him to the lake today to swim and he kept trying to pull my float back to shore. He ALWAYS has something in his mouth.......stick, rock, ball, stuffed animal..........it's really pretty cute.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
LAM, Toby will be 5 months on the 31st. Unfortunately he does chew on the things he picks up. So far no real casualities so I'm hoping that he out grows it before we do! Lani will grab things and wag it in his face to make him chase her, it is pretty funny. If he does not take the bait right away she will run, get in his face and continue untill he begins chasing her or we see she has something. She will usually give it to us with little trouble now. Can't wait to see them on Monday! :lol:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now as Archie is stealing stuff he startes growling as if to make sure we're noticing he has something. Then prances around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new and I love reading all of these posts.
Gus is a 9 month old labradoodle. He is about 75 lbs...so he is definitely a handful.
He loves to carry things....towels, shirts, blankets. And he also is so proud of himself. As soon as he gets something, he trots around the living room with it and goes to the back door. He likes to take everything outside.
I don't know if he will outgrow it, but I sure hope so.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hello all

Sadie used to do this too - in her case, she was doing it for attention, or to try and get an exciting game of "keep away" going with whoever was willing. We used the drop it command with lots of treats. As soon as she dropped the item, we would give her a treat. That worked, but, I think it was more the fact that we refused to chase her that made her decide to give that habit up. By the way, this was when she was 7, 8 or 9 months. She is now almost 11 months and rarely grabs or chews things anymore.

On the other hand, our friends have a golden who is 8 years old, and constantly has something in her mouth. I think she is just following her retriever instincts.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts