Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Farley is 10 weeks old and up to date on his shots, but he does have two more rounds scheduled, one in three weeks and one four weeks after that I think, I don't have the vet stuff in front of me. When is it safe to take him to a park where other dogs are (on leash, we don't have an off leash park) or even to Petco?

Also, he really doesn't like walks, LOL! He will walk a big and then flop down. We're working on "come" and he usually does, but my husband tried to take him for a walk in the afternoon when it was really warm and he plain old refused to go anywhere. Even when he will walk, it takes forever to just go around the block. She he like walks or is that something dogs have to learn? He's very active and loves to romp and play so it's not like he's in pain or anything, he just doesn't want to walk.

And to brag a little, we've only had him 4 days and he already knows "sit". He's so smart :D

·
Registered
853 Posts
I had the same problem with my dog on walks too. I got him at 12 weeks of age and he didn't walk very far until he was about 5 months old. He acted like he had alot of energy at times, too, but just didn't seem very eager to go on walks. He walks alot farther now (at six months of age). I didn't take him to the dog park until he was about 4 1/2 months old and he had all of his shots.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi ... Kim is right about the age for the park...at least 4 months old, and only if all the shots (except for Rabies) have been given.

You might want to try a walk in the cooler part of the day...maybe the pavement is too hot for his feet...they need to build up to certain surfaces if they are not used to them. And, walks should be very short until they get older too. No jogging...until they are 18 months of age.

Sounds like a whole lot of rules...and it is...but it should keep your baby safe and the time passes very quickly!

·
Registered
164 Posts
The only thing I can add is about walks...its about 80 degrees here, and my dog will not go for a walk during the day..its just too hot...I walk him either in the early morning or at night....its nice for me too, I love night walks..and im not all sweaty after either...so u might want to try walking your dog at a different time of day

1 - 4 of 4 Posts