Labradoodle Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
You've done the right thing! I know what it's like to work in a tense environment. I had to leave a job about 8 years ago because my health was going down the tubes - I lost down to 98 pounds and was probably drinking more wine than I should have been. It's amazing how the work environment can spill into every aspect of our lives.

You go girl!!!

Hi, Kim! I had to do a search to find this topic after seeing some of the later posts about your boss's reaction to your leaving. Sounds like you're making the right decision, for sure! And having worked in a school for some twenty years, I can tell you that the shorter days and the vacations and the summers off are just wonderful. You'll feel like a kid again.

What subject did you teach, or is it a whole grade, like 2nd or 5th?

Congratulations!

Leslie

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Thanks, Leslie, I am really looking forward to it! I actually taught at this school before I went to my current job, and I was so happy to learn that most of my good friends are still teaching there! It feels more like a homecoming than a new job! :lol:

What will you be teaching, and how nice - it sounds like you'll be coming home to a ready-made family! I imagine you'd make more as a lawyer, but we realized a long time ago that money's not everything.

My half-brother got a law degree and then found himself watching the clock constantly to see when it was time to go home. Not a good sign. On the other hand if you're in an office where you can follow your ideals and make a difference I imagine that would be really satisfying.

My husband contemplated a career change to law in mid-life, thinking that he would enjoy environmental work since he and I respectively chaired the local zoning and planning boards at the time and had to know a lot of law to respond to unscrupulous applicants who wanted to despoil our town. But he decided that at that time of life he would probably rather slow down than gear up, so he never pursued it.

Leslie

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Leslie, I found out this week that I will be teaching EXACTLY what I wanted! I'll have 11th grade government and economics (each is a semseter course, and the classes switch at the end of the semester) and then U.S. History to the 10th grade! I taught English the last time I was there, and although I enjoyed it, it really wasn't my major! They wanted to make sure they could get an English teacher before they committed me to the Social Studies department, and thank goodness they did!

Congrats on the job change. It is great that you will be workign with such a great faculty and getting to teach the classes you love. Although it seems funny to me that your school is a low stress job. I am a special ed teacher in our no child left behind demands are making me think of switching out of teaching because I am so stressed out. Maybe the private school makes it easier.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Wow! I admire anyone in special ed! You have gifts that I certainly don't have! I think it is easier in private school, I'm sad to say. The kids there are either self-motivated, or their parents are motivated for them! What you do is really special!

That's why our granddaughter goes to Catholic school - even though her dad is Jewish and her stepmom is Methodist. At least the parents of her fellow students value education and it does make a huge difference.

I'm a retired school psychologist and I worked with emotionally disturbed and learning disabled kids in my job, so I know how challenging that can be. And if you add parental indifference or distaste toward education on top of those difficulties it's not a recipe for success. Private schools usually don't pay as well but the kids are much more fun to deal with - if you can stand the parents, who are sometimes extremely demanding. My own kids started out in a private school and the other parents could be interesting to say the least!

That's so great that you'll be teaching what you wanted, and the subject areas sound like a perfect fit for someone with a law degree, too. Congratulations!

Leslie

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.