Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're all back, safe and sound from the mountains - no pictures, however, b/c we ran into some pretty yucky weather up there - we had fun anyway though!
Our trip was almost over before it began Saturday morning. Tyke and I got up at 6 AM to get the paper, and as I walked out the back door, I saw Tyke look down at something on the ground beside the steps - then I saw it move and scramble to get away from her - it was a copperhead snake about two feet long! I got Mom's attention and she took Tyke into the house. I could see the snake under the steps where he was hiding, but couldn't get a good shot at him, (yep, we do shoot snakes around here!), so I tried to chop him with a shovel. I couldn't get at his head, but I hope I hit him hard enough to kill him after he crawled back under the stairs. I got absolutely weak in the knees when I realized how close Tyke had come to getting bitten!! Years ago, one of our Eskies got bitten, but she was a little bigger than Tyke, and the snake was much smaller. Other than a nose swollen to twice its normal size for a few days, Frosty didn't have any ill effects (we did get her the antivenom ASAP, too) I don't think copperheads have enough venom to kill a dog Tyke's size, but she would have been awfully sick! We now have mothballs scattered all around the stairs to the sunroom, and are going to get the landscaping guy to put lime around the backyard tomorrow. Needless to say, I won't be doing much hiking on the wooded trails in the swamp with Tyke for a while. I am just SO RELIEVED she didn't get hurt....

G

·
Wow that is scary! Kinda of ironic though as we had a long conversation about snakes at Mother's Day lunch/.

Glad Tyke is ok and the snake slithered away.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Heather, but I'm sort of hoping the snake DIDN"T slither away - I hope it's DEAD!!! As Deepnite said, that was MAD scary! If I could have gotten to that snake, I'd still be chopping- nobody messes with MY baby!!! :evil:

G

·
Well I think you killed it!!!! I hate snakes. I just don't think I could handle a dead snake laying there without a head. I'd rather it slither away to die!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
glad to hear TYKE and YOU were both okay.

me? if the snake is dead, i am happy :wink:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heather, I am with you - I've killed them before and had to toss them into the woods - I'd just as soon not see them alive, and they are even worse dead! I think I was just running on "Momma Bear adrenaline" as my mom said - something was after my "cub" and I was gonna get it!
I am still seeing that creepy thing in my sleep - he could have bitten both of us! :shock:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Oh wow!! How frightening!!!! Glad you're all okay! I'd shoot too..........Thank God I don't have that problem here. I'd be freakin' out!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yikes! Kim, I am so glad everything is okay!
I have been reading about Rattle Snakes a lot, trying to find a way to control them...I've not seen one here, YET, but I understand that they are very common.
So, here is what I know of Rattlers...I don't know if any of it applies to Copperheads or not...but the baby snakes are far more dangerous than adults. They have more potent venom and are more likely to use it!
Even when you chop their heads off, they can bite and inject venom, even hours after they are cut off...so never handle them!
If you have them under the house or stairs, you can get a huge heavy board and cover it with the sticky stuff that they put on rat traps, place it along the walls where snakes will slither and when they go over the sticky stuff they are trapped.
I was also told by an 89 year old farmer around here that I needed to get a long handled square shovel to chop the heads off...watch them leave because they won't turn back to you and then chop...ugh! I hope I never have to ... but I WILL! I am like you, if it protects my pups, you bet I'll kill them!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good advice, Jac -for ALL snakes!
I have also found another unlikely ally in the war against poisonous snakes - the OPOSSUM! We have plenty of these little critters around, and not only will they eat snails and slugs out of your garden, they will also attack, kill and EAT poisonous snakes, such as copperheads, moccasins and rattlers! (they are immune to the venom) I have a friend who actually puts dry dog food out for possums on his property, and very rarely sees snakes! From now on, all 'possums are welcome at Tyke's house!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've done a little more research on this since our "incident", and luckily, it seems that copperhead bites are rarely fatal to dogs, and even cats usually survive if bitten by one. I think the biggest thing is being able to tell what kind of snake you're dealing with. Rattlers are much more venomous than a copperhead, so if in doubt, get to a vet asap! If you are sure it is a copperhead, vets usually treat with benadryl or prednisone and antiobiotics. (I have both at my house, but I'd call a vet before giving any - to make sure you have the right dosage!)

At any rate, the snakes are crawling, so I hope all our doodles have a safe summer and BE CAREFUL!!!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey! Opossoms are good! But, dang, they are so slow, I can't imagine them eating a snake! hahaha
I read where Guinea Hens scare snakes off too...at least they alert you to a snake nearby. They also eat ticks...but they are noisy critters!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, BaBa is already a little nervous about the 'possums - no way would she go for guineas!!! :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts