Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 4 mos old I am switching foods and getting rid of the Iams. I was going to try Canidae All life stages but I was wondering how yall felt about that brand being truly sufficent for a large breed puppy. Would I be better off going with Innova large breed puppy food or something similar, I have no favorites here just want a better food.

Please help

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK for me and a few others unfortunately our doodles had bad gas on Innova which means they aren't digesting something

Max and peanut have been on Canidae all life stages for 1 year now
and Beau for the past 5mos
they're doing great

·
Registered
98 Posts
I feed Innova large breed puppy and Murphy, my doodle, has no problems with it, but Trooper the GSP has pretty bad gas. I was going to switch, but I really like the ingredients in the Innova. Murphy does seem like he could use a change, so I might change it the next bag, but I can't decide what to change to. I know lots of people here feed the Canidae but I'd rather feed a puppy food during puppyhood and maybe do the Canidae later.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After comparing the ingredients, I think I'm going with the EVO Innova dry dog food based on protein content. Canidae All Life stages only contains only 24% protein whereas the EVO contains 42% protein. I talked to my veteranarian who also recommended the EVO. I guess I just think about what dogs in the wild which is mostly meat and think that whatever we feed them should be mostly meat. I'm still open to suggestions however.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
tashapeterson29 said:
After comparing the ingredients, I think I'm going with the EVO Innova dry dog food based on protein content. Canidae All Life stages only contains only 24% protein whereas the EVO contains 42% protein. I talked to my veteranarian who also recommended the EVO. I guess I just think about what dogs in the wild which is mostly meat and think that whatever we feed them should be mostly meat. I'm still open to suggestions however.
A small heads up, the higher protein it can cause some growth issues, i recommend a lower protein puppy or dog food after about 4-5mths old

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to do some more research. Everything that I've read thus far indicates the higher the protein the better. My vet advised me of this as well. Any idea how the higher protein adversly affects their growth?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I use both with Cacao. When Cacao gets older I will just use Canidae.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao was on Nurto and had really really bad gas and now that she is on Innva and Candiae no gas problems. So I am very happy with the change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As my husband has pointed out to me, I've become a little obsessed with finding the best dog food. At this point I think any of the foods mentioned are better than what I've been buying at wal-mart. Canidae seems to be the most popular amongst the members of this forum, I haven't exactly heard any negative comments and it seems to be the most inexpensive of the top rated foods. :|

1 - 13 of 13 Posts