Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Dexter is going to get a friend/brother :) We are adopting Kirby (Annmarie's Kirby) :) We are so greatful to her for taking such good care of him until we pick him up. We will be going to get him a week from Friday (I can hardly wait - we have every other Friday off so next weekend makes logical sense).

I have so many questions about advice for adding a 2nd doodle. I'll start with our most pressing and hope that someone w/experience can help. Kirby needs to be neutered (the sooner the better). I have 2 conflicting feelings on the timing of it:

1) Do we do it right away (within a week). I would prefer this, but I worry that if we bring him home and one of his first new experiences is getting that done it may upset Kirby.
2) If we wait a week then Dexter has to deal w/an unneutered dog in his home. I don't want Dex to be upset or not like Kirby because of this.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :) It may not be a huge deal, but I have no experience with unneutered dogs.

Thank you Annmarie again (please keep posting photos/videos) :lol:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
No help from me about the when for surgery, but :D Hooray :D Hooray :D Hooray :D for you! Congratulations!

Kirby is so lucky. Dexter will get a new pal. And we will all get to see the doodle antics! :lol: Very best of luck!

G

·
Congratulations, Leslie! I will hopefully get to meet Dexter and Kirby at a romp soon!!! Heads will be turning when you walk those two stunning babies around the block!
Not sure about the neutering, but I am with you...I'm thinking the sooner the better.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
leslie...remember Max is 5 days apart in age from KIRBY. they are the same age 13mos.

they get along but had to establish who is dominant.
I am seeing changes in Kirby daily as he settles in here with allof us.

I don't know if should have an opinion but i am the overproctective mom type hahahahaa

however, i would let Kirby settle in your house with all of you making sure he feels comfortable and secure before neutering as he will have gone from his home to mine 4 dayg ago. Then he'll be with us a total of 14 days till he meets you and dexter and your hubby. Then off for a long drive to your home. new sights, new people, home, doodle, new smells etc.
I am just getting to know him and he has opened up tremendously in only 4 days but not 100% yet.Also you'll be switching food too. So i would play it by ear,what my breeder and I meant by getting him fixed right away is within a month or so. When he settles down into your family and routines feeling like he belongs :D
That could take a week or more...i wouldn't worry but rather let things fall into place.

sorry if i sound like a overbearing mom....you know how i am with max and peanut hahahahhaaa they're like kids i gave birth too :wink:

Also your vet like most vets have open appt's each week or so for neutering. Neutering Kirby helps him not mark in the future, calms his hormones down and more.

Took Kirby to Country max tonight he did good till he saw BUNNIES :shock: then he got excited. I am trying to socialize him but NO bunnies next time :wink: or birds

PS i think Leslie and i have butterflies in our tummies hahahhaaa both nervous for same reasons. We want it to be a great experience for all involved :D

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
How exciting for you and your family and Kirby, Leslie!!!!
A new brother for Dex, and a new wonderful family for Kirby!!!
We wish you all the best, and hope the time just flies for all of you! :D :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
How wonderful for all of you. He seems like such a great dog, I am sure that you will have lots of good pics and stories to share with us. How lucky for both of you!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Congratulations! What a wonderful brother he will make for Dexter. I wish you and your family hours of doodle romping fun!
I would make sure he is settled in and confident before scheduling the neuter surgery. For us it was about 2 weeks after Huck was re-homed with us that we had him neutered.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Congratulations! I am very happy for you all...what a wonderful addition to your family and Kirby is a lucky boy!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Congrats Leslie, Dexter and Kirby!!! Another double doodler!!

I got Jonah neutered 2 weeks after bringing him home. He was much younger though....5 mos.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Congrats Kirby! Looks like you're getting a great forever home with a brother to play with!

And congrats to you too Dexter!

Hugs all around to Annmarie for helping Kirby find a good home and to Leslie & family for providing it!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Congrats to all in the Kirby rehoming.
Well done Annmarie and lucky you Leslie!!!!!!!!!!!!
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am keeping my fingers crossed KIRBY doesn't learn too much "partner in crime" stuff cause he DEFUZZED a new toy last night in about 10MINUTES :shock: making it just the way Peanut likes it :D :wink:
I think Max was both amazed and jealous hahahhahaa

KIRBY seems to have learned to let Max and Peanut have his toys and he takes ALL of their good ones :wink: Then he tries to eat their food and my two want his :roll: Feeding 2 separate foods is like playing with a Rubiks cube (or however you spelll...UH Gene or Foodlady i need a spellcheck please) :wink:

Peanut does the "ingore" thing to MAXand KIRBY when she scoots under a coffee table while she thoroughly enjoys a toy alone. Peanut may be a porker but she's shorter than them and manages to squeeze in tight spots.

Next is Max and Kirby trying to sqeeze in with her and they're just about within reach but can't quite make it. so what do they do next?
THEY lie down and CRY CRY LIKE BABIES hahahhahaaaa cause PEANUT won't share ...then she;ll get up and race through the house weaving and dodging them both-- TEASING them to NO END and end back up under the coffee table again hhahahhahaa

we're laughing alot here in my house. my 15yr old son Andrew is staying home during the day to play, feed and walk them while i am work. He said it's fun :shock: ( i am posting a pic of him here soon with all 3 doodles)

in a way we've grown closer because of the "family" teamwork.

And LESLIE i cannot wait to see YOUR funny stories and PIC with Dexter and Kirby. you are going to have so much fun and KIRBY will be your shadow. but is respectful when you go to the bathroom and waits for you to come out :shock: hahahhaa max and peanut don't they just barge right in :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
My 15yr son ANDREW and what he really loves to do: help PLAY with DOODLES and let me tell you he can TIRE them OUT hahahhahaa

AND MAX who cannot be left out of anything

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Andrew has a killer smile! What a good looking young man! Looks like he and the dogs are equally happy! Nice pictures...and don't worry about the spelling...not only do I spell poorly, but my typos are really a hoot!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Anytime LESLIE. honestly, we love taking pics though i do post alot of pics lately :wink: hahahhaaa

keep going to photobucket nightly as i am trying to get as many pics as i can so it'll be like you know every bit of him before you arrive.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Cuties all .... I'm going on record to say I think you and Leslie are the best, for fostering - for adopting that darling doodle Kirby.

Now when the big transition day comes we all expect TONS of pics. Especially of Dexter and Kirby and Max and Peanut with their Angel Moms!!!! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
FoodLady said:
Cuties all .... I'm going on record to say I think you and Leslie are the best, for fostering - for adopting that darling doodle Kirby.

Now when the big transition day comes we all expect TONS of pics. Especially of Dexter and Kirby and Max and Peanut with their Angel Moms!!!! :D
Foodlady, I can't wait till DEXTER plays with kirby and OMG also max and peanut. I will say this, MAX is going to be sooooooooo excited and make me look like a fool going bonkers with turbocharged excitement.
Also Leslie i get to meet you too. :D

Peanut is instigating NIGHTLY doodle 500 runs now with max and kirby inthe house. omg sounds like a bowling alley hahhahahaa then they plop down at our feet, panting and resting hahahhaa Leslie....hope DEXTER is up for doodle 500 runs on tile floors hahhaaa and then out back.

and of course i am going to try to capture this on camera.

i also think EVERYONE on this forum has been so supportive and great.
Soooooooooooo ,anyone want to come help me clean my house this week? :wink: hahahhahaaaaaaaa BEFORE leslie her hubby and Dexter arrive? i'll provide the food and laughs and of course a mop and duster :D

PS --Fostering is a great way to bring a family together which strenthens love and teamwork while getting a doodle all ready for another loving family like Leslie's. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts