Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check Cody's ears all the time because he seems to have regular trouble with them. I use peroxide and keep them clean. Well, I must have missed a week because last night he woke up in the middle of the night shaking his head like crazy. I pulled him into the light and he had gunk coming out his very red, raw, blistery ear. My poor baby! This must have happened in just a few days because I check a lot. His ears haven't been wet and the weather is dry. He hasn't itched at all and it's only in one ear. So, they gave him an office visit, sedated him, did a deep medicated ear wash, did a deep ear exam, cell cytology labs, depo-something shot, ear wash, anti-yeast drops........ Good grief! From now on in the morning I'm checking his ears first thing. I'm also washing them once a week no matter how clean they are. Oh, and now we're on a duck and potato dog food which was 20lbs for $46 and he eats 4.5 cups a day because he thinks this may be allergy related (also based on skin problem earlier last month).

We're buying dog insurance. It's $10/mo for the basic plan and $18/mo for the VIP plan. We just paid over half of the yearly VIP plan with this visit alone. I did a coverage vs. actual price comparison with my vet prices and only a few things are over the allowed amount.

I feel like such a bad mommy. Poor baby Cody!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Not ever used peroxide

I would suggest clorhexiderm ear wash and keeping hair out of his ears,
doing it at least once a week to start
with the wet weather we are having its bond to happen dont kick yerself to bad
here is the blue power ear and powder version
and you can order the ear powder(to get hair out of ears) and the chlorhexiderm at www.petedge.com

http://itsfortheanimals.com/Adobe/Blue% ... atment.pdf

HOME MADE EAR POWDER

It is especially good at drying up the black gunk.

The Formula

Ingredients
• 4 oz. zinc oxide powder
• 4 oz. boric acid powder
• ½ oz. Iodoform powder
Mix well. Keep in a sealed jar in a cool dry place.

Instructions on use
Place a large pinch of powder in each ear, and use your finger to work it down. Wait five or ten minutes (I cut toenails) then pluck the hair out of the ears, being sure to get all the way down. Allow the dog to shake, but leave the excess powder in the ears. Repeat monthly.

Treatment of an existing infection
Use as described for maintenance, then apply a fresh pinch of powder to each ear. Wait twenty-four hours, then use a dry q-tip to remove all the powder and the balls of dried gunk. Put a fresh pinch of powder in each ear. Repeat daily until the ears are no longer runny. At this point, repeat every other day, until there is no more runniness, then three times a week, then twice, then weekly, then every other week, etc. When the ears remain dry for three weeks, go to the monthly maintenance routine.

How it works
The reason this works so well is that the iodoform powder kills anaerobic bacteria and fungi which flourish in warm, moist, airless places, like the inside of a poodle's ear. The zinc oxide and boric acid keep the ear dry, which prevents further infections. In the days before antibiotics, Iodoform was frequently used in human medicine to pack puncture wounds where anaerobic bacteria also grow. It may be hard to find because it isn't used much any more.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I feel like such a bad mommy. Poor baby Cody!
Ahhhh
You are not a bad Mommy, sometimes even when we are diligent things happen. Your puppy is lucky to have you as you took him to the vet right away and did very good by him. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yikes...I have had that type of sticker shock too! We had yeast infrection during that first year of wet weather. These guys just have such long ears that they can't dry out.
I really like Nancy's response...in fact I am copying it for my personal collection of health issue info. Thanks Nancy!
When my first dog got bad ears like that, my vet also gave her a shot of cortisone. It cleared right up! The next dog that got it, I requested the shot and it also cleared right up and neither have gotten the infection again.
My vet said that she will make that her regular protocal with yeast infections since it has been so great for us.
You do a fine job of cleaning your dog's ears...it wasn't your fault...it's just a dowfall of wet weather. I have actually heard of some people putting doodle ears in a scrunchy for a few hours a day! (Imagine that would be something to see! :lol: )

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ok sticker shock....i paid $$$ for peanut...then 2 weeks later got Max neutered $245....then last Sunday Peanut was in the Emergency clinic for 3hours $260....then went to my Vet's really sick on Monday came home Wednesday which cost $481.35...luckily she didn't need surgery (yet)
Then add the cost of crates, food I cook almost daily, and I am going to stop here hahahaha !!!
OH when was 16wks old he blew up like a balloon from a bee sting and that cost $145.

I should not be typing this hahahhaa as i refuse to add up the cost of going broke for the love of my doodles hahahhahaa

I too felt like a bad mommie with Peanut as max shredded a kitchen sponge scrubber and Peanut got a little of it inside her which we still don't knwo if that caused her problem or not.

We're not bad mommies ....our doodles are like infants and can't tell us what's wrong till we finally sometimes realize it untill something bad happens.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
glad it's getting better

Thanks for all the nice posts and great information. Cody is feeling better although he is extremely reluctant to have his ear messed with. We have construction going on at our house and Cody was being his usual friendly self today. One of the workers bent down and gave him a playful head rub and he yelped in pain. I guess he got his ear. I'm still amazed at how bad it got so quickly. He loves the duck and potato food but he's pretty farty! Has anyone read "Walter the Farting Dog"? Funny books but bizarre illustrations. Anyway, Cody is on the mend. Oh - who posted that long bill of vet costs - MaxandMe - I think. Wow are you a candidate for puppy insurance!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I just read on a breeders discussion forum the other day about an ear powder that works wonders. It is called Thornit Powder and you can purchase it at Champion Pet Supply. It sounded like the cure all for infections and also helps in getting out the ear hair. I'm definately going to try it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts