Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everybody, I'm so HAPPY!!! :D
Our current F1b puppies.... we're wimps, we only have one litter at a time... are 5wks old. We only have 2 left to sell! 6 of the 8 (obviously) are reserved and claimed by families and I'm so excited to have had this kind of response on an ALL BLACK litter!

1 of the boys has straight, and long, thick coat, but there ARE the guard-hairs all over, that indicate a less-than-F1b coat, by my standards. It's nice to be able to show people that, and he wasn't chosen yet by the pre-purchasing families, who all came this weekend to choose their own pups. So I'm lowering his price, since he's got a great coat, but it's got that bit of coarseness, ya know?

Do any of you see that in your F1b litters? I've seen it consistently in 1-3 puppies from Bear and Fancy, depending on how many they have, I suppose. Personally I would think the coarser coat would be less matting, and thereby lower maintnenance, but I just tell people upfront about him. We all learn from others ya know?

Do you breeders volunteer this stuff up front or not?
thoughts, experience?

thanks, and Happy Sunday,
~M

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Maureen, haven't seen you in awhile, good to have you back :D I have only had 2 F1B litters but haven't seen that in my coats so far. Haven't had many to go by though. Sounds like you've done a great job in finding homes for your puppies, good job :) I haven't checked out your website lately, I'll go there right now :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Congratulations Maureen, you must be very happy! I am happy for you too! (Your puppies are adorable so I am not surprised :wink: )

About whether or not to mention it...yes, I think it is a good idea to be totally upfront with them...because they are relying on your expertise.

In fact, I have one great little puppy...he is very special (smart as the dickens!) and I have someone interested in him, because they like the flat coat...but I wanted to ask you breeders about his coat.

I noticed today that he is shedding! (F1B) I have already told this buyer about the shedding and mentioned that I would write in to the forums to get advice.

He is very, very much like a Lab. All of the other puppies have lush coats and none are shedding at all, but today I noticed (as he was in a ray of sunshine) that he was shedding as I "fluffed" him! I quickly brought the others to the sunshine and fluffed them and none of them are shedding. But this little guy has a flat coat and looks just like a Lab puppy.

My question is this, do you think this is a puppy thing or will this guy be a shedder? Anyone have experience with this situation?

All advice is appreciated. I have told this buyer to check in on this site and I, of course, will pass along any info that I get from you. If it turns out that he will be a shedder, I plan to discount his price too.

So, Maureen, thanks for mentioning this...it just fits right in to my question! And...congratulations on finding good homes for your babies!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, Jac, I didn't realize you had a little guy like this! Genetics sure do keep us on our toes, ya know?

I wonder if Keith would comment, since he has our little guardian-guy BANDIT - - I might see about getting pictures this week by the way, but I'm digressing....

anyway all our coarse-coated F1 puppies did shed before they left the litter, so it sounds like you got a boy with stubborn genes!

Our pup has a really thick, uniform coat, but he has the obvious guard-hairs all over his back that are slightly coarser than the rest. When 2 clients felt his coat today they both went "Oooh yeah!" as they rolled the fur of him and a brother in their fingers.

I'm sure you'll find a special home for him but yes, I would sell him as a "bargain baby" with all the intelligence but no promises about his shedding.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maureen said:
I wonder if Keith would comment, since he has our little guardian-guy BANDIT - - I might see about getting pictures this week by the way, but I'm digressing....
Okay... okay... GEEEZ!!! :p Ya think that people dont get busy and able to upload. Guess I had to figure it out. WAY too small a space for pics so I ran out of room.

Got some just before and after the holidays.

Here's the deal... Bandit does shed, but Tia can breathe. She is highly allergic to the dander and she is doing well with him...
He has a soft coat, very much lab, but still curly (a patch on the rear back at first, and then growing towards his head).

When he is bathed, he has an incredible amount of "poofiness" (a technical term, look it up) >;- )~ and is very curly.
He hates the blowdryer so it winds up having him curly for a bit. and then we have to comb it out.

Funniest thing is his incessant need to use his paws as hands for virtually everything. Holding a toy while he chews it, trying to open the door, pawing at the door to be let in, and stuff like that.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thanks Maureen, thanks Keith!
I had already decided that this sweet Lab-looking baby should probably not be priced at F1B prices...and I have already contacted the possible buyer about that. But he is by no means anything but top quality in my book! He is so smart (the smartest of the litter, I think) and he is just adorable!
As you all know, my husband is allergic to dogs and yet this little guy doesn't make his allergies act up so I think that he still has good Labradoodle qualities!
I appreciate the comments. It will be interesting to see how he develops.
Lexie sheds, but not a lot any more (she did shed a lot as a puppy) and Bayley used to shed too, but doesn't shed at all now that she is over a year old. Very interesting, I think.
We will just have to see what this pretty baby brings us...he is a surprise waiting to happen!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey, I didn't realize that Keith has posted a picture! (It was slow to download on my computer.) Cute puppy!
I'll try to download my little baby too...and I just went back to some pictures of Bayley as a puppy...she had a flat coat too! Then by about 6 months, it was curly...and within a year she was non-shedding...so I have hope for this sweet boy.
I tried to post a picture here...couldn't do it, so I'll put him on the F1B photo gallery of the forum. http://labradoodle-dogs.net/gallery/dis ... p?pos=-966

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, thanks Keith!
I have heard from others that the using the paws instead perhaps their head IS a sign of higher intelligence! For example, our Lab will try to open a partially-opened door with her head, and our poodle(s) will use paws to pull the door open! So how about that?! :wink:

Maybe we should make a separate topic about using paws?

I was thinking of bringing my camera when I come over to see Bandit or take him to his Dr. visit...but those are CUTE!

and....(she said, not-so-modestly) Don't you LOVE Bandit's little white spot on his Nose???!! :D

Jac I love how you are such an advocate for your Labbly little guy... I'm glad you've got a potential buyer too! Are all the others spoken-for in your litter?

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeah that might be a good idea...

Your lab with poodle tendancies...
OR
Your poodle with lab tendancies...

Seems more common to have the lab with poodle tendancies, yeah?

These two were just a taste, I was able to add more in the directory. If I can figure out a way to reduce file size on the pics, I can get more added to the directory.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
F1b Coat Differences

This is Haley she is a F1b Parti color very wavy coat(pic is at 5mths old)

this is her full sissy Boo (same birthdate)

Coats are very different,however neither shed,and both are very easy to handle,
I have found that if i use a labradoodle as the mom and a poodle as a dad the coats are more consistant,,these 2 had a poodle as a mom and a labradoodle as the dad,,there was a wide range of coats in this litter,,hope it helped some,,its a bit like a crap shoot in breeding doodles,,LOL

Nancy Doodlesville

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Nancy, I LOVE those colors! Are you selling these girls? Or keeping them for breeding at this point, since I know you've loved on them sooo much?

What are you breeding F1b's to, for the 3rd generation? F1? F1b?
I'm about a generation behind so I'm looking forward to watching how those 5/8-3/8 doodles come out......I can hardly wait! :D

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
These 2 im keeping for breeding

i have a new litter available they are Minis though,,I own a full sissy to them she is still very very small,,about 35lbs at 9mths

Im thinking bout breeding F1 to F1b ,,but really want to introduce reds into my line so may have to go f1b to poodle (my mini) still thinking,,:O)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts