Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a pool and can't get there doodles to step a foot into the water but have no problem taking a drink now and then from it?

I have an F1 who looks more like a Lab and an F1B who looks more like a poodle and neither will enter the stairs to the pool now for since I have had them for a couple years. Even tried going in myself and trying to call them and encouraging them but no luck. Can anyone help or share the same with their doodles? Thanks for any help..

G

·
Bella is scared of the little blow up pool. I am getting her a hard plastic one to see if it is any better. I'll let you know.
I think she would jump right in if she thought my son needed help. She was very vigilant while he played :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
With all the dogs in my family, we started fairly early carrying them into the pool, and allowing them to swim their way out. None would enter voluntarily, but they all loved being IN the water - it was the GETTING in that they hated! Eventually they learned to start jumping in.

I still won't let the dogs climb out of the new pool for fear of tearing the liner. I hope to teach Sandy how to climb the ladder instead of using the steps, but we will see. Sandy was the earliest in the water - only because he scared the hell out of us by jumping in after the girls. He scared himself too! :lol: :shock: :roll: Which is why we carried him in a few minutes later - so he could realize he COULD swim, and not just thrash.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
My "Pool Dogs" literally fell into it! That was not what I had planned...but they were too curious and just "walked in" thinking they'd stay up.
When they sank under, I thought that they'd hate it...but they popped up, started to swim to me and kept going back for more!
It is important not to force them. Contrary to what people think, not all Poodles and Labs like water. It IS odd that both of your dogs would not like it...but possible.
I'd take them in slowly too...and, most importantly, keep near the steps so they learn to get out properly. Most drownings happen because the dog can't get out and gets so tired he gives up.
You might want to start with kiddie pools to let them play in for a while...see how that goes. But I'd never force it.
Here's a little article with some good ideas:
http://www.meditationiseasy.com/tips/pets/35114.php

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max keeps eyeing our 24ft above ground pool that is partlybuilt into the ground. we keep the gates locked at all times. I just put in a NEW liner last year.

soo we bought max and peanut a hard shell baby pool. The only one available was the one witha slide :roll: hahhaha
so far they ignore it sooooooo i figure this weekend i'll sit in it and act like i am having a blast and tell them NOoooo....and figure this will pique their interest hahhahaa

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
that's funny annmarie - we got Dex the little plastic kid pool and he would not go in. I stepped in it and started splashing acting like I was having the time of my life and he came in :) Now he loves it.

We just got steps for our above ground pool today and will install them tomorrow. I wonder if we'll have to coax him in...I'm sure I'll have some photos by the end of the weekend :lol:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
LOL, Annmarie! Reverse psychology!
We have our puppies in the backyard a lot - it's a small yard - and we take the wading pool they were born in and clean it and put it out for swimming/playing every summer when we have puppies. It's funny how some take to it RIGHT away and some never do more than drink! It does seem to matter how deep the water is - they like it shallower for playing.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I guess today while i was at work max and peanut went in their baby doodle pool

Max walked around and Peanut sat in the pool watching Max hahhahaa
tomorrow like i said i am going to sit in there and act like 5yr old having the time of my life. and NO we are NOT taking pics of this one!! hahhahaa

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota was terrified of the pool--although he did drink from it. We tried everything, including a kiddy pool, without success. Finally, we had him at the lake and he was happy to go in the water to chase a ball but he did still have the ground under him. We finally threw the ball far enough that he had to lose the bottom to get to it. When that happened he looked shocked and frightened until suddenly the reality hit, "Hey, I'm swimming!!" :lol: We quickly re-introduced him to the pool; this time with success. Here is a look at the formerly "terrified" pool dog!
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
It's fuuny, looks like Dakota is waiting til he gets to the side of the house to "shake down" the one who told him "go"! Thanks for my morning smile! :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I now only love that video of Dakota...I LOVE YOUR POOL

i'll jump in and chase after balls , in fact i'll do it faster than dakota :wink: but i'll take longer to get out though :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I agree with Annmarie
I think we would all chase balls for a chance to swim is such a
Gorgeous pool.
When are ya having the pool party?????
Bahahhahahahahaaa!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
WHEN :wink: :D 8)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Lilly has loved the pool We took her in last summer and she just loves it Walt was a baby last year so he didn't go in much but he lover to run around on the cover this winter (we have the cover that is like a trampoline) When we took it off Walt did not figure it out and went running as usual and in he went. It was so funny, he popped up and swam to the side wait for us to help him outIt has taken some coaxing but he nows swims on his own I would hold his collar and tell him to step in he would get on the first step then I would tell him to go to the second step and he did then I would push him off till he figured out to swim Now he will go in on his own but still is a wee bit wary.
Here is some video of Lil swimming

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Ok that is it!!!
I have to move and find a house with a pool.
Bahahahahahhahahahaaa!!!!
I am so jealous of all you pool owners. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i am jealous of everyone with a INGROUND pool with steps.

i am not complaining as i have a above ground pool but i hate yet to teach my dogs how to climb up and down a ladder yet. I might practice with max tomorrow if my boys are home. If not i'll play the spray with the hose game...we have a blast as max loves running in and out of the spray :D supposed to be in 90's tuesday

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I only WISH I had a nice big pool like the ones pictured!
I do have a hard shell plastic wading pool for the dogs and even thought it's far too small for them to actually swim in, they love to sit, lay, and play in it. It's quite a site to see 3 large dogs trying to squeeze into that little pool together. LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts