Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first dog... my first doodle, Jofi back in December. She's now 4 month's old.

Anyway, when I was looking for a doodle I ended up on two waiting lists (2 separate breeders). So, now we have Jofi, we're still on the waiting list with the 2nd breeder... and they've just had a lovely litter of puppies (all golden, red, cream, caramel - I'd originally wanted a lighter colour although when Jofi came up I couldn't resist). I'll find out in 3 weeks if one of the puppies has been allocated to us (then we can choose whether to go ahead or not). It wasn't the original plan to have 2 doodles but since having the one it just seems to make sense to have a 2nd as a play mate and afteral - 2 doodles... twice the fun?

So... here are my questions... is there a big difference having 2 doodles instead of one - is it twice the work? Do 2 doodles tend to manage better when left alone than one? I'm mostly at home at the moment and for the upcoming months so it doesn't matter that much but perhaps in the future it will be more relevant - I'm also thinking when we go away and the dog has to go to a dog-hotel/kennel.

Is it better if the second dog is around the same age? Is it easier for a young dog (i.e. a puppy) to accept a new companion dog or is it easier once she is an adult? I've heard that it's better to have one of each sex rather than mixing two girls (Jofi is a she although she's been neutered - she gets on well with all dogs). Of the new litter 7 are girls and 3 are boys so it's likely if we do get allocated we'll have a girl.

My partner is open to the idea but wonders whether it's good to wait half a year first.

For those of you with a second doodle - how did you make the decision? What things did you take into account? Do you have two female dogs - does it work - how did you introduce them in the first place? Jofi came from Australia - and the 2nd breeder is also in Australia (Tegan and Rutland Manor), so there wouldn't be an option to test-drive the dogs together first (although I doubt there would be a problem from how Jofi has been with other dogs in the park - she's absolutely loved the doodles we've met).

Here are a couple of pics of the newborns:

and at 3 days

and their mummy:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Libby what sweet babies and mama is very pretty

there are several members with multiple doodles, I'm sure they'll be along

I had 2 choc labs together, littermates, and I didnt find it that much harder and they played so well together and kept each other company

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
wow they are so cute :)

We have 2, but we adopted Kirby when he was 1 yr old so we missed going through all the puppiness with 2 (at the same time). There is definitely a bit more work to have 2, but overall on a day to day basis I actually feel it's almost easier to have 2 because they entertain each other. Obviously there is more cost associated with food, vet visits...bathing 2 is more work...taking 2 places takes more time (getting them in the car, etc). Boarding 2 costs more...

We are very happy we got Kirby...we hope that in the near future we will be able to leave them together when we go to work (we thought it would be more fair to Dexter to have company while we're away).

We are also lucky in that Kirby is a very good boy and doesn't do a lot of the antics that Dexter does...it may be more work if you are chasing down 2 doodles to get back socks/underwear or whatever else they steal :)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Absolutley twice the fun and more! just make sure they get along. With a puppy and a young one itshould be ok. We "interviewed" a few dogs before we found ont that Hershey fell in love with at first sight. Its been great ever since. Food, vet, boarding, toys, ect cost more but if you can handle it then i always think dogs do better in pairs. It is nice however if one is fully trained first, to listen and teach the new puppy what to do and what is ok. We waited until Hershey was about a year old to add Gustopher, and he was 4 months old, so he was house trained already......that was great. . I have friends with littermates and they had a very hard time training and establishing a person-dog bond.

G

·
I can't comment on having two all the time. I dog sit a lot so about 2-3 times a week Maya has another dog here. Too me it is no more work than having one BUT all the dogs that come are older. I really want to get Maya a full time companion but I am waiting until she is at least over a year if not 2 before I get a second. I want her fully trained so that if another puppy comes along the pup can learn from Maya.

Also all my friends have female dogs and Maya has been fine with all of them. Even at her daycare they report Maya will play with everyone but prefers the females. Doodles tend to be very easy going so I don't think it matters much.

·
Registered
260 Posts
we have a 2-year-old male (neutered) doodle and just brought home a new puppy a couple weeks ago. he's almost 10 weeks old. my fiance and i are finding that the normal puppy stuff is a bit harder when there's another dog around the house -- even a well-behaved one like kumo is.

it is more difficult to watch ursus (the puppy) when he's playing with kumo, so that we can catch him before he pees on the floor or chews on inappropriate things. they can get really worked up, and then i think ursus has to pee before he really knows it.

kumo is also insanely tolerant of ursus chewing on his legs, ears, face, etc. -- so we do puppy "time outs" so that ursus will learn proper dog manners. we didn't have to do this with kumo as a pup, because he didn't have another dog around.

it is not possible to take them both outside at the same time yet, so for a while that means twice the trips outside. if you have a yard i guess that would be easier.

we have started puppy kindergarten, so we have training "homework" to work on with the puppy, and we're finding that we have to put kumo in another room or in his crate when we work on training the puppy. fortunately kumo is housebroken, only chews on his toys, and is very comfortable in his crate.

all of these things are necessary and temporary aspects of having a puppy, and fairly minor changes to our routine -- we are looking forward to when ursus is grown up and we have two well-behaved dogs we can take everywhere with us!

oh, and in addition to food, vet and boarding -- don't forget double the grooming costs (unless you plan to do it yourself)...

-em

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Ohhhh...........I've melted right here on the floor!! If you even have to ask.....then you're ready!! hahahaha!! It's in your mind and you'll do it eventually, so why not get get one of those precious babies!!!!???

Right now, I'm waiting. We just lost our Springer in November and the decision to get another dog immediately was tough........but I'm so glad I did!! For now, one is enough for me.............I've had 2 dogs before and it can be WONDERFUL!!.
Let us know!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK i have 3 doodles which just hit the ages 7mos, 14mos, and 19mos

max and peanut are 6mos apart and i'd say it was considerable work at 1st as we got peanut at 9wks old and max was 7mos.
Max was turbocharged for weeks on end with his new playmate but they trained well together and were also great playmates bonding almost instantly. :D

anything closer than 6mos apart-- well you'd have your work cut out for you. For potty walks i walk each doodle separately but i look at this way: i am getting some good exercise and fresh air while giving each doodle time alone with me. Their runs out back are together though.
For me , life is easier with 3 doodles than when i had just one. They play beautifully together, nap together and i do one on one training and at night a group session of 30min lie down along with sit stays etc.

the work is worth the effort........and the YOUNGER puppy learns from the older doodle puppy. As well as the older puppy matures quicker as they are a big brother/big sister to the new puppy.

YES they will be days you can't blink and then most days you'll smile and laugh feeling the happiness and love of these wonderful doodle dogs.

if your family works as a team it is so much easier.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the tips. So, it seems it would be more ideal if Jofi were a little bit older first as the 2nd puppy would be 8 weeks on arrival. At 4 months she's pretty good with her house training (although the last week things have slipped a lot while she was ill).

I guess for me it would be important that a 2nd puppy would be as person orientated as Jofi is. Jofi and I have a good bond - she loves to snuggle up on my lap and to be brushed, for example. She's doing well with her training - she can do quite a number of things now on command and now has the free roam of the kitchen/hall.

With the current set-up, it would be feasible to have both dogs in the same room, with the younger one confined to a large play pen, for example. This way I could spend time with one of the dogs without being away from the other dog.

Oh well, it will just be a matter of wait and see - I've seen pictures of previous litters from the same dog (and with the same dad) and they're lovely - there are even a couple living in the Netherlands.

Libby

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Libby...Echo has 2 doodles 3 weeks apart in age and i'll pm her to comment.
for now i do know she said no problems for her and she brings them both to work since they're puppies. so everyone is different.

2 doodles= 2 times the love and laughter

·
Registered
10 Posts
We are now the proud humans to 2 doodles!

Brutus is 7 months old (was fixed last month). Buckeye came to us without much warning three weeks ago. Both are males.

The first week was really tough. There was some serious jealousy going on to put it nicely. Plus Buckeye (10 wks old at the time) was so much smaller that we worried Brutus might hurt him. At the advice of our vet, I just let them be for about an hour. I only broke up the pair if one was crying (surprisingly it was Brutus who cried first b/c Buckeye tried to nurse on his newly surgered parts). Once Buckeye realized that Brutus was boss, it's been good. They seem to really enjoy each other. Both are confined to playyards in the same room but apart from each other during the day. Once Buckeye is housebroken, we'll leave them together.

My biggest problem is that Buckeye was paper-trained by his breeder and refuses to go outside. I've tried taking them both out together so he can witness what he's supposed to do, but it turns into a massive wrestling match. I think we're going to work pretty hard at that this weekend - yippee!

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE - we've been allocated one of the puppies!

So, here's the exciting news....

We've just had news that we've been allocated one of the puppies - a standard boy with a gold/apricot/caramel coat. It's exactly what I wanted.

Here's a pic from the breeder's website at 3 weeks:

BUT my partner is having doubts.. his main concerns are that Jofi is only 4.5 months old and it might be too soon to have a second doodle. I think I might just die if I have to pass up this beautiful doodle - I've fallen in love with it - but I don't want to do something my partner isn't happy with. We've got a week or so to make a final decision.

I've talked through the advantages and disadvantages and he's open to it but not sure - I just hope I can persuade him to give the go ahead as I think this will be a wonderful playmate for Jofi.

The cons:
- Jofi is still a puppy - 2 puppies will be a lot of work
- Extra costs - insurance, vets bills, food etc.
- 2 doodles bouncing around instead of 1 (is that a con?)

The pros:
- A companion for Jofi - she's absolutely LOVED all the doodles she's met.
- Easier if we are away and the dogs have to go into a kennel/dog hotel - being together will be easier for them - likewise they won't have to be alone - at the moment Jofi is alone if I have to go out.
- Getting the puppy process out of the way quickly i.e. both are puppies together - rather than having to go through 2 lots of puppyhood at different times.
- I've got the time now to give the dogs the attention/training they need - later I'll be studying again and so won't have as much time for them. I'm at home most of the time at the moment.

Wish me luck!! I'll let you know what we decide :)
Libby

·
Registered
235 Posts
You have already decided and it looks like your making a good one. I just passed on Samantha's sister of the same litter, but I live alone and am in a chair, otherwise I would have took her. Luckily I talked my friend into taking her so Samantha will have her sister to grow up around and play together often. Perfect scnario for me. Good luck in talking your partner into giving you what you want.

Here is Samantha...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Libby ........Congrats!!!those puppies are really cute!!! wow!!!

Max was 7mos old when we brought Peanut home at 9wks old
and while some days it was work, it also was so much fun, loving
and also neat watching them bond so close.

Max matured quickly, teaching Peanut how to do things like doodle 500runs, wrestle, play tug of war etc. Peanut taught max how to dirt surf houseplants hahhaaaaa

then when Max was 16mos, peanut was 11mos old we brought home BEAU who was 15wks old.
peanut grew up overnight, matured and is loving her big sister role even 4mos later and taught Beau the same things Max taught her: how to be a real doodle! hahhahaaaaaaaaa

i wouldn't change a thing, we've had weeks where they go thru stages :roll: but we've had more love and laughter than we could ever imagine.

can't wait to see your new baby doodle pics!!!
any names picked out yet?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:( :( :(

I mailed the breeder back last night and had a reply to say that we needed to give a decision within 12 hours.

I really really wanted this puppy - he was PERFECT for us.... but my partner felt it was too soon and without his support it would have been so I have had to decline the puppy. Apparently there were 25 other families waiting for one of these puppies.

I know it sounds dramatic but I feel miserable! I know my partner is being wise (I'm the spontaneous one of the two of us) - there will be another litter (different parents) later this year - ready in June - so perhaps we will have a chance then. I guess it's probably for the best to wait for Jofi to grow up a bit first.

Thanks for all the feedback - if it had just been up to me, I would have said 'yes' in the blink of an eye. Hopefully we'll have a second dog at some point this year.

Libby

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John, I know how hard your decision must have been. I'm also 'disabled' - I'm legally blind (although have enough vision to do most things). With Jofi I do 90% of her care - my partner plays with her and sometimes feeds her but I take her for her walks, groom her, train her, clean up after her etc. With a second doodle, the majority of work would be on me

Yesterday I had a fever and was in bed most of the day (still feeling ill) but still took her for her walk (in the rain) in the morning and evening. My partner took her out for a short walk at lunch. Jofi has brought me so much joy :).

Libby

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Libby , i am a firm believer that things do happen for a reason
and perhaps down the line you might get another doodle
but for now you can enjoy the time you have with her one on one.

and right now maybe the work of two would be stressful with Jofi being so young. i will say it was much Easier when we got Beau with Max and Peanut being 11 and 16mos old. and if my fiance didn't help out i wouldn't be able to handle having more than one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts