Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are really excited that we are getting our 2nd doodle in a few weeks. We could have her right now - only the next two weekends are crazy for us - so the breeder is having her vet spay her and will keep her for two more weeks until we can go pick her up.

Now I have all kinds of questions as to what I need. She is a mini Labradoodle - so won't be as big as Shadow (medium). She is used to other dogs and being outside...so we have to transition her to inside living. What are your thoughts on crates? Two crates or one big crate? Shadow is used to being alone in his crate - but he is totally social. She is used to sharing a crate with other dogs.

For those of you with multiples - what about dog beds. Do they share them? Ours are larger than Shadow needs, so I would think they could share, if the dogs are willing.

What about food and water? Do they need separate bowls, or can they share?

And what about riding in the car? I don't have much option if the dogs are riding in the car with our family - as my kids' carseats take up the backseat...so they can only fit in the back of our SUV. We have a "mini" SUV so it's not all that large....but I'm not sure if its safe for them to be in there "loose". Normally - we put Shadow in his crate in the back - or if I'm taking him somewhere without my husband, I use the fleece seatbelt thing in my passenger seat - but that won't work with two dogs.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
103 Posts
CherylB said:
We are really excited that we are getting our 2nd doodle in a few weeks. We could have her right now - only the next two weekends are crazy for us - so the breeder is having her vet spay her and will keep her for two more weeks until we can go pick her up.

Now I have all kinds of questions as to what I need. She is a mini Labradoodle - so won't be as big as Shadow (medium). She is used to other dogs and being outside...so we have to transition her to inside living. What are your thoughts on crates? Two crates or one big crate? Shadow is used to being alone in his crate - but he is totally social. She is used to sharing a crate with other dogs.

For those of you with multiples - what about dog beds. Do they share them? Ours are larger than Shadow needs, so I would think they could share, if the dogs are willing.

And what about riding in the car? I don't have much option if the dogs are riding in the car with our family - as my kids' carseats take up the backseat...so they can only fit in the back of our SUV. We have a "mini" SUV so it's not all that large....but I'm not sure if its safe for them to be in there "loose". Normally - we put Shadow in his crate in the back - or if I'm taking him somewhere without my husband, I use the fleece seatbelt thing in my passenger seat - but that won't work with two dogs.

Any ideas?
I highly recommend crate training. At first you should have her in a small crate, just enough room for her to be able to move around comfortably, this will help with the potty training....they don't like to mess were they sleep.

Sharing a bed, as long as they have no problems sharing, then I don't see anything wrong with that. I think that will be up to them.

I would probably use separate feeding bowls for them.

Will a small crate fit in your SUV, to bring the puppy home in? If so, I would probably use that.

These are just my opinions.......others please join in!!

Congrats on your new doodle
Trina :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
What are your thoughts on crates? Two crates or one big crate? Shadow is used to being alone in his crate - but he is totally social. She is used to sharing a crate with other dogs.

All advice as a non-expert, but someone w/2 doodles:

1) I would see what they do w/the beds...they may share or claim one each :) I would get a 2nd crate for now - wouldn't want your current doodle to feel his "safe place" being invaded :) Eventually they may want one crate, but I would keep them apart for now.

2) I would absolutely feed them separately, but they should be able to share a water bowl. In my opinion, food is the biggest thing that can cause issues between 2 dogs.

3) You can buy an attachment for the back of an SUV that will attach to a dog harnass...I'll ask my husband where we got ours. Is your 2nd doodle a puppy or older dog? If a young puppy, I would keep her in a crate at first in the car. Our doodles (especially Kirby) would climb in the front with us if we didn't have him attached in the back :D

I wouldn't go nuts buying too much new stuff until you see how they interact. We can buy 2 of the exact same toy and they will both want the same one...just like 2 kids :wink:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I would absolutely get 2 crates. Even social dog need a break from each other, just like people. When we first brought Gus home he was so happy to be in his new forever home and with another doodle he would play with Heshey constantly. Hershey was happy to have a play mate so she didnt snap at him and he litterally chewed open sores on her face. as soon as we saw them we had to only let them play supervised and sleep and take breaks in separate crates. If they shared a crate Gus would have eat Hershey alive. They play fine alone now, thankfully.

Ours share everything elsse, toys, blankets, big day bed, waterbowl. They dont share food, but thats because Gus eats 3x as fast as Hershey and he would eat more than his share if we didnt separate their meals.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice - Definitely let me know about the attachment for the car if you get the info.

The new dog is almost 6 months old - so I'm not sure what to call her as she's not a "baby" but not an "adult". Shadow is 8 months old - so he's just a bit older than her. He's around 30-35 pounds I think...She is expected to be 25 pounds as an adult. (in case that matters)

Shadow loves playing with my moms dogs when we visit, and mopes afterwards for a week after leaving...so I think he will love having a second dog. The new pup is used to 3 other dogs where she lives - and is a pretty calm dog.

I'm about out of toys now because we have a real hard time with Shadow destryoing them all within 15 minutes. So - I was going to buy a few of the same - since I'm used to two toddlers that fight over toys. I guess I'll take that slow. (It used to be only Kongs were safe, and now those are being destroyed! Anyone have ideas on toys that will last? At least he has never moved on to furniture!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts