Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now we all know that Dexter is perfect in every way :roll: , but he is still as nippy as ever. Many times I can't walk across the room with out him grabbing onto my pant legs, or sometimes my ankles when I'm wearing sandals. Wearing socks only is out of the question. I found blood running down the arch of my foot yesterday from one of his little needle-teeth nips.

I thought that by this age the nippy-ness stage would have passed. What am I doing wrong??

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We experienced the exact same thing with our Dexter. He didn't actually draw blood though...

I literally did not wear nice clothes around him until he was 4-5 months old... He would jump up and bite my shirt, pants, etc...I remember most of his bad puppy behavior (humping, jumping, biting) getting better around 5 months old and he got so much better by 6-8 months.

I did lots of say "no" and give him a time-out when he did bad behavior and eventually it seemed to sink in. Trust me it does get better...

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Ellabee you are doing nothing wrong
Eventually he will stop this behaviour
Leslie is right!!! it will get better but in time
It took Denver till about 5 or 6 months to stop
thinking of me as his personal chew toy.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the words of encouragement....but I still feel like it's my fault, like there's something I should/shouldn't be doing! (read: Catholic guilt :lol: )

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
With Jonah, we did the "no bite" while holding the muzzle, then re-direct with a toy and lots of praise. If this didn't work I said "ouch" really loud, crossed my arms and ignored. This worked quite well for Jonah. With Miko, she was older and very shy, so no biting from her. Good luck! Patience and time are the key! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I know max was mouthy till he was about 5mos old and then stopped
Peanut was about 5.5mos old when she stopped being mouthy.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
OMG are they 17 weeks already?? I can't believe it!

Did you get my last pm? Sandy just stopped the nonstop nipping one day. He still gets Annie on occasion, because she makes the mistake of backing away from him. And the toe nipping has turned into toe LICKING - specifically my mother's toes. We used the method Gene used with Jonah - holding the muzzle and saying NO BITE. Then we would put our hand (or leg, whatever the target was) right in front of his face and tell him "Kisses" - he usually gives us a dirty look and gives in to the kiss!

I love these dogs! And call me crazy, but I'm eyeing the purple collar female from Dianes current litter...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hhahaahha i misunderstood this post and was thinking mouthy not nippy hahahhaaa (typical of me at times i'll admit) I do know i always tried to give them a squeaker toy or kong quite a bit.

and wow you're puppies are 17wks old :shock: wher'd the time go??
max is one year old next week and i find that hard to believe as he is still my baby :wink: (peanut is my princess) :D

kristen i love the "mad" looks Sandy has hahhahaa

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Kristin, I did get your PM - I guess that's what prompted me to start this thread (Sandy having gotten past this phase already...). Grrrr. (No pun intended..)

[ETA: that's the other thing he does, as you mentioned - if he's not biting at my ankles, he lays down and just has a lick-fest on my ankles...]

BTW - purple collar female is my favorite too!! - not to buy, just to look at... GOT FOR IT!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kristen ...my two doodles are i got Max last Oct 2006...then i got Peanut Feb 2007. They're half siblings and 5 mos apart in age. A Bit crazy a times with tons of laughs hhahahhaaa but they've bonded so close in such a short time.

GO FOR IT :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
LOL I want her so bad! I'm trying to figure out a way to finangle my finances to swing it, but I'm not sure if I can... All I know is that Sandy would LOVE a sister!

:)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
you could name Sandy's sister ANDY and then really confuse people :wink:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Abby is 5 months old and very nippy :roll: I am constantly shoving a chewie in her mouth to get her to stop knawing on me and saying "no bite" very firmly :x

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cody uses his mouth like a hand...

Cody (2yrs-old) uses his mouth like a hand. When we walk near him we rub his head or scratch his ears. He does it to us too. When we are close to him he'll gently mouth us on the arm or hand. It's his way of touching us. When he wants us to pet him he picks our hand up in his mouth until we rub his head. I wish he didn't do it because it's annoying to visitors and probably dangerous to smaller children. I think if we had been more consistent with the BitterApple and training we wouldn't have this issue. I think it would hurt his feelings now if we tried to break him of the habit. He has us trained :eek:)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
HI, I might just be sleep-deprived, but when the puppies here are nippy with the adult dogs, they get snarled (yelled) at, and surprised with SHARP disapproval and scary white teeth in their face!
Nobody actually bites anyone but they make their point, ya know?

I like the idea of yelling OW! really loud to surprise!

We're getting a new f3 puppy tho, later this summer so I'll be there timing it until the phase is over tho, later!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE!!

Since Dex is now old enough to go to the big field/dog park down the road, he's been a new man. I believe that a lot of his nippy-ness was due to the fact that, while he'd been on lots of walks, he didn't get to put the pedal to the metal and RUN. And Doodle 500s in the house didn't cut it either. When he's at the field, I let him off-leash and we play a rousing game of fetch. (I LOVE the Chuck-it BTW. How gratifying to fling that ball 50 yards!) And then he plays chase with my daughter. We do this for 20 mins or so until he just flops on his belly and WATCHES the ball fly over his head....all done!

We get home and he just lays at/on our feet or just politely walks around with us. No zoomies, no nipping, no jumping. Just one well-behaved little guy, and an absolute pleasure to be around. The dood just needs to open it up and let loose......... :D :D What fun for all of us!

He was a model dog yesterday. We managed to BBQ until the rain came, Dex was on his long tether in the yard with us and enjoyed being around everyone. Very polite and well-mannered yet goofy with a yard-ful of people. A bunch of us took him to the field for fetch and kickball. I was concerned when the fireworks started, and I was ready with hotdog pieces for every boom. He couldn't have cared less at the sound, but he was wondering why he was getting a hot dog out of the blue.

I'm SOOOOO proud of him! Everyone was lovin' him, it was a good, good day all around

I'll bring the camera next time we go FETCHIN' at the field.

Dex scored major atta-boys.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
wow...what great news LYNN!! way to go!!!! :D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts