Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am new to these boards. We bought our labradoodle 2 weeks ago and he is beautiful. We named him Cody Bear. He is yellow with a wavy coat. He already knows "sit" and loves to play. We have 4 children, so he is used to children. He loves his crate, but he is not housebroken yet...still has accidents. He came to us with coccidia and has been on medication for it. His medication will end in 2 days and he is doing so much better. He is very playful and loving. We have to find Cody a new home, because we just don't have the time to train a new puppy, or give him the attention he deserves. I am struggling with some medical stuff and it leaves me drained of energy...plus 4 kids! I feel soooo bad about this. :eek:(

We live in San Antonio, Texas. We are just looking to get a little of the money we spent on him back. He has papers and his parents were AKC registered. He has had 2 rounds of shots and is due for another round next week. We paid 700.00 for him and then another 100.00 for shots and vet check. (not counting toys,etc. ) If we could be sure he was going to a loving home, we would be willing to sell him for 500.00. I just really hate to have to give him up, but finances, fatigue and time are all a factor for me. :eek:( Please let me know if you are interested or know anyone that would be. Thank you.

Stacey
[email protected]
P.S. I could e-mail pictures of him if you are interested.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Stacey,
Have you contacted your breeder? Most breeders will gladly take a puppy back and help to rehome him. Especially since you have only had him for such a short time.
Please let them know that you are rehoming him...maybe they have someone right away who can give him the love he deserves.
I know that this is a heartbreaking decision for you and I don't want to sound judgmental at all...but I would like to mention to other people looking for puppies, to please take a good hard look at your situation before you take on the responsibility of raising a puppy.
It appears, Stacey, that you have a lot on your plate right now and I don't judge you in your decision, in fact, I believe that you are very compassionate to recognize that your puppy needs more time than what you are able to give.
I just seem to be hearing this quite often lately, and I want to ask everyone to, please, recognize that this is a lifetime commitment. You will need to give time, money, attention, discipline, training, and care for this animal for many, many years and the puppy stage is the most difficult of all.
I am sure that if you had to do this over again, you would see things much differently...in hindsight. From the things you have said, I believe that you have grown to love little Cody Bear.
I hope that you are able to recoup some of the money that you have spent on your puppy and that you are able to quickly find a home for him to help relax the burden that you find yourself under right now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My breeder will not take him back. I do not think she was a good breeder. She shipped the dog to us with coccidia. I was disappointed in her because of this. Cody is very loving and I do not want to part with him. My husband (who is not a dog person) is not pleased because we received a puppy that had coccidia and we had to pay for his medication and take care of his diarrhea because of this. He feels that for the money we paid, we shouldn't have had this problem. This has also encouraged Cody to soil his crate. He doesn't seem to have the instinct not to. This has caused more work for us. I have always crate trained and I am not sure how to crate train one that will soil his crate. If you have any advice, that will be great. I would love to keep him, but my husband thinks it is too hard on me to have to keep up with the kids and a puppy that will require a little more work than normal. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, Stacey, I do know what you mean and I, in no way, wanted to insinuate any other motive than your love for this puppy...it is so sad...and I get extremely angry at breeders who do this!
Now, that is not to say that all dogs arrive healthy and without problems, because you just never know where they will become exposed, but for a breeder to wash their hands of a puppy that they have sold...well, to me that is an immoral thing to do. Your breeder should be very ashamed.
These are the types of breeders that make it such an uphill battle for those of us who try to do it right, and to protect our puppies and our customers.
I understand your husband's frustration. And, I agree that if you had the time, you could probably train this puppy to be a great pet. But, unfortunately, it is difficult to find the time to work with a puppy who displays problematic behavior.
It is so time consuming...I know because we had to try many different methods...but when we found one that really worked, the trainer had to teach us how to keep her training going. The responsibility always falls back to the owner and if you have no time/energy, well, the best thing you can do is to acknowledge it and make the sacrifice.
I admire you for that. I wish that there was an easy solution, but I am afraid that there isn't.
While you are dealing with the puppy and before you find another home, maybe you can get your children to help with his training.
With puppies, you have to take them outside every 15 minutes or so until they get the hang of potty time. So, maybe your children could get on a schedule to do that, at least to avoid more accidents.
Any training that you can give this puppy will make it easier for you to find a new home for him. Even if it is to learn his name, or the simple commands. Hopefully, you can at least get him trained to potty on puppy pads...that would also help.
Thisi s a good site for many different kinds of problems and issues:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/
I hope that it helps. Have you tried the re-home sites? They almost always get fast results...you could post a picture, that will help.
http://www.ilainc.com/LabradoodleRescue.html
I wish you all the best!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi Stacey, sorry to hear that you have to give up your baby. I just wanted to say that coccidia is quite common in pups. I am not sure if that is the reason you are really giving it up or not, but anyway here is some more info on coccidia that describes it quite well.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_coccidia.html

Good luck in finding a home. I saw someone else was looking for a pup on the forum, so I directed them your way..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry you have to give him up!! I don't know that I would be angry with the breeder with the coccidia...I have heard that it is very common. Bella had one or two in her stools when we first got her, but it cleared up within a month. I admire you for recognizing your limitations and do hope that little Cody finds a good home

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, I am not mad at the breeder for the disease...I am mad that the breeder has the money now, and has just forgotten all about his/her responsibility to the puppy.
Whatever the reason that a family can't keep a puppy, the breeder should be there offering support and help in getting this puppy into a new loving and happy home. :(

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

Hi Stacey, First of all, welcome to this forum, whether you give your puppy a new home or not.

Coccidia is most commonly caused by an upset in the digestive flora in the system, and a plane ride can do it, from what my vet says. But actually some yogurt can fix it!

I have another suggestion for finding a home...try posting at www.thedoodlezoo.com

most of all, BEST WISHES! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cody Bear is doing much better. We figured out he not only had coccidia, but giardia also. He is on medication and on the mend. His diarrhea is clearing up, he is pooping so much less, he is eating again, and he is playing again!!! Yeah!

We have decided to keep Cody Bear! Thank you for all your suggestions and your support. This has been a rough time for us and Cody Bear, but I am praying it is all on the mend now!

Thanks again,

Stacey

·
Registered
972 Posts
Stacey, that is such good news. I am sooo happy for you and your family. I can honestly say I was stumped with your problem. These doodles really are sweet, smart, and loving. I have never seen a dog tolerate my sons antics the way these guys do.. Best of wishes to you, and Cody Bear.. I have a son named Cody, and I babysit a husky named Kodi Bear.. How funny is that??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maureen hit the nail on the head with coccidia. Since all dogs have it in their intestinbal tract just waiting for a stressful event to activate it 70 % of puppies have to be treated for coccidia. Cottage Cheese or yogurt is a holistic cure that we reccomend all new puppy owners feed for at least 2 weeks after the move!
Giardia is similar in terms of symptoms and many vets diagnose giardia even when the stool sample is clean just because it is difficult to diagnose and find. Giardia is becoming a huge deal in the U.S. now. We vacciante all of our adults for it, but feel that vaccianting the puppies for giardia may be too much too soon and let new owner and vet decide on that one.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Well, Shannon, let me clarify. My girl Sheba was in heat, and a situation she perceived as stressful INTERRUPTED her cycle, shutting down her ovulation and spiking a bunch more bacteria in her system than is normal. It's not that she showed signs of giardia or coccidia, but that her coping mechanism for the discomfort was manifested in a growth in bacteria.

I hope that helps...sorry, I didn't make it clear.

Meanwhile, my 9yr old Lab will get a case of giardia if she drinks old rainwater, while my younger adults can drink from that same water and not have any such symptoms...my vet says the immune systems of old and young dogs just don't always have the resistance of a healthy (young) adult. :D

is this clear as mud? :roll:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hello everyone, I hesitate to bring this topic to the forefront again, but I would like to make a public apology for my thoughtless comments on this forum string.
Unfortunately, I reacted without caution, I used accusatory words that I should not have. And I am sincerely sorry.
My comments may have offended other breeders, breeders who deserve my respect, breeders who are not involved in this particular situation, breeders who are far wiser than I...those breeders know that illness can happen to any puppy, at any time.
I know this as well, but for some reason, I lost track of my common sense in this instance. For this, I am truly embarrassed and sorry.
I regret my words and my reactions.
The lesson learned is this; to all buyers, things will happen...puppies will become ill from a variety of causes. People (like me) get a knee-jerk reaction and start pointing fingers, please use caution and common sense. Give your breeder the benefit of that common sense and allow them the oppotrunity to do what they will to make things right. Most breeders will do whatever is necessary to ease your burden and support your choices and most will always, always put the care and well-being of their puppies first.
Most breeders are loving, caring individuals...but we are all human and we are dealing with nature. We can't control every aspect of the conditions our puppies encounter, but most of us do want to help. Please give us that chance.
I have learned a powerful lesson from this and I hope that it will help to make me a better, less judgmental, person.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Jac we all know how caring of a person you are you haven't done anything that all of us have probably done at one time or another so don't be so hard on yourself. You give great advice and it shows in your post how much time and thought you put into answering people. Please don't stop giving the great advice you are so good at giving... :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts