Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chloe comes home! I got an update from the trainer after week one stating that she was very smart but a little defiant (I could have told him that for free, lol). The last update was from the trainer's wife through an email saying that Chloe has adapted to the training routine well and that she was extremely smart. One week from Saturday I will have my little Chloe Bug back! I have yet to tell Chase, who I think was hoping she was gone for good :roll:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Autumn, that is WONDERFUL news! I know you can hardly wait to see her! It has been a long six weeks, hasn't it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, 6 weeks is along time but I recently had surgery with a long recovery and would have had to board her anyway. So, the price ($575) worked out to be about the same. I am really hoping to have a new and much improved doodle!!

G

·
Autumn, I can't wait to read your update on how wonderful Chloe is behaving when she arrives home! I hope you're fully recovered and it's awesome that Chloe was off at camp learning during that time!! Just like summer camp for children!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am getting better every day but still not 100%. Still taking it easy. I am very excited to be getting Chloe back. She always went with me for errands around town so I have missed my riding buddy. I am sure that I will overload you guys with pics next weekend!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Autumn welcome back...and that's great news.
we all will be waiting for you to post pics next week!! :D

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Boy Howdy talk bout outta the loop
I hope you are doing better

just a note, make sure you go thru the paces with your dog before you bring home ,
In actuality Your training should be as intense as your dogs so as not to confuse your dog, you need learning proper handling,,that is the key,

also i highly recommend reading
BE The Pack Leader by Cesar millian

I hope your recovery is going well

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just spoke to the trainer and he has me set to come the 30th which is a little longer than I hoped for but he needed to have plenty of time to "train" me as well. I was a tad bit angry to learn that he used a shock collar during part of her training. This was not told up front. He then proceeded to tell me that she was not a very happy dog and did not look forward to each day's lesson??? :shock: Are you kidding? Would you? Anyway, it did upset me a little because Chloe is the happiest dog I have ever met. I am just ready to get her back and now I feel guilty. I knew that the retriever training often required a shock collar but I would have never thought it would have been used for basic obedience. She has always been defiant but I though it a bit extreme. Anyway, sorry to vent! I am definitely going to keep up with her training but not in that manner. He also said that she had alot of mats and needed a trim. Poor Chloe Bug! :?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Autumn, I'm sorry to hear they are using techniques you are not happy with, I wouldnt be happy to know someone was using a shock collar on my baby either

How are you feeling? Can you go now and get Chloe and bring her home? If you are not comfy with how they are training and if they say she is not happy, maybe getting her home now would be a good thing, just a thought

·
Registered
398 Posts
Autumn,

I agree that the training methods should be discussed before hand. Although, if you know that they use a particular method/tool in the later part of training, It would make sense to me that they woudl introduce it early on.

I certainly empathize with your situation. I can't imagine sending my baby off for training and not be able to observe. When my horse went out for training, I was there for my appointed time every week and dropped in unannounced through out the week.

I'm sure that Chloe will be fine. Maybe she's not happy with the new rules. Maybe she's thinking that everything will be back to the way it was when she gets home and that's why YOU need to be trained too.

Just remember the three basic rules of training -
1) You cannot get hurt
2) Your pet cannot get hurt
3) your pet MUST be calmer at the end of the session.
If a method or tool has the potential to cause injury to either you or your pet then it's not a good training technique.

:D :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh I'm sorry...I would not be happy to hear that either. I am not necessarily opposed to shock collars, but I certainly would want to be consulted and approve before they would be used on our dogs.

Well what's done is done. I know several dogs on this forum were trained with them and all seem to be ok. Let's hope they used it on a very low setting for Chloe.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
OMG,,poor girl, Im so sorry, I am sick,,
THAT is why i always recommend training owner and the dog
trainers typically disqust me

Im so sorry,,Prayers that this hasnt traumatized her to bad,,
Go get her,
I would report them, BBB and call every vet in the area!!!
they didnt have permission to do this , this could have a lasting effect on her psychy ,and in NO way with a doodle can i imagine that being needed,
other then total laziness,,need to get it done quick
I cant imagine how you feel rite now,
i would be just livid!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sorry to hear this Autumn and i am sure Chloe will as happy as you are to be back home with you.

I use the Vollhard positive reinforcement training method which i prefer as it's like training a child with love praise and treats.

and she's not happy? that's a given! between missing you and then having a shock collar.... i'd say not many dogs would be happy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts